Can my MBP withstand a dual monitor setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Might be a stupid question to ask, but will my 2010 i7 MBP (complete specs in sig) be able to smoothly handle dual monitors?

I was planning on keeping my final cut editing on one screen while having something else such as internet or minecraft in the other.

Just wanted to make sure the GFX will be able to handle it before buying.

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, you'll probably get very poor framerate on minecraft, it's poorly coded to begin with, so taxing the GPU with video editing probably won't hlep it much.

3. RayK macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think it would really be an issue. Enjoy!

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

I run my MacBook Pro with 2 external displays, one through Thunderbolt and one through a Diamond USB-DVI adapter. It functions flawlessly except for minor frame rate issues on the USB monitor when using more than 70% of the pixels at once (if that makes sense).

I recommend if if you're going to use the USB monitor for email, twitter etc. Oh, and just so you know both monitors are running at 1980x1080. The link below is to the adapter I used, you'll need to look around for mac drivers though they don't come on the included disk.

One final note, I don't know what MacBook you have but I've the fully upgraded 2011 model. High res screen, 8GB ram, 2.3Ghz Quad i7. Shouldn't make to much difference though if its a 2010-11 model :)