Can my stolen iPhone be found if

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacTheChipper, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MacTheChipper macrumors member

Can my stolen iPhone be found if it is re registered with iTunes
    i no its been restored
    but if they re register it with i tunes in the name could i find them and will apple give me that info

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

3. MacTheChipper thread starter macrumors member

how come

4. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Because it's not their job to help you hunt for your lost iPhone. It's your job not to lose it.

Can you imagine the thousands of calls they would get a day IF they helped those that can't keep track of their iDevices?

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

For privacy reasons they can't give out anyone details even if they are in possession of a phone which belongs to you. Plus it's not their job, no company in the world helps you find a stolen phone for free (that I've heard of).

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Read the title 'STOLEN', stealing is a criminal offence no?

Apple should be obliged to help with recovery but they wont because people with iPhones usually have insurance and the insurance company will just replace the phone thus generating even more revenue for Apple.
    So it's just more profitable for Apple not to care! :mad:

I've had 2 iPhones stolen, not lost, couldn't track as they were turned off instantly. Apple should at least implement a bar on the IMEI number in iTunes (brick the phone when it's connected), seeing as the service providers have this info when they 'block' the phone.

7. Superman80 macrumors regular

They should just make find my iphone un-deletable, and the only way to reset it would be through the original owners itunes account even if the phone was restored

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple should be obligated to help because your phone was stolen? Really? Would you call LG if your TV was stolen?

9. MacTheChipper thread starter macrumors member

but what if they re register the phone with iTunes

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Are the police involved and has Apple refused to work with them?

Apple's not going to do a thing for Joe Offthestreet.

11. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

It's extremely simple for Apple to implement a user failsafe, one phone, one Apple ID!

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You must understand that THOUSANDS of iPhone, Ipads and iPod are stolen DAILY! They would have to devote large full time staff.

The was it is now someone will reactivate, buy accessories and spend money!

Do not blame Apple.

13. MacTheChipper thread starter macrumors member

police have been involved they rang apple but got no where
    they told them to ring me get me to ring apple did that apple told me to file a police report i did
    then i got told i have to got here there and everywhere and no one could give me **** all information
    kept send me from apple to the police to my network carrier

but if they registered the phone on iTunes after rebooting it is possible that way

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They sold you a product. It was stolen. WHy does Apple need to help you get it back. You car get's jacked. Does the Ford dealer help try and find it? What about your TV, your microwave, or your baseball card collection? It's not the company's job to track down your lost or stolen articles.

----------

The answer is, yes, it's possible. It's possible for Apple to find out where your phone is this very minute so long as it's on. They can do that. The keys thing is they will not do it. It's just not a service they provide. If they did, they would literally be inundated with calls from around the globe.

15. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Yes, but apple possesses the means to assist, tv's, cars etc etc don't have tracking!

Besides which I'm not saying Apple should help track, but to brick the phone when it's sync'd with iTunes should be a no brainer!

16. mattkowalski macrumors member

It would take a court order for them to hand over someone else's confidential personal details.

17. nparmelee macrumors 6502

You'd probably have better luck trying to get the carriers to attach the IMEI with your phone number and try to make them help out in these situations. Not sure why Apple should be involved.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't think it would as it is not "someone else's confidential data". If Apple wanted to, they could even brick the device until it is returned to its proper user. There are plenty of things that legally can be done, Apple has just chosen not to do them, likely because it would be a logistics nightmare.

----------

Plenty of electronics devices nowadays do have a means of tracking, but that;s irrelevant. They may have the means to assist, but they have no obligation (as you put it) to do so.