Can nonamericans buy the 3G S at AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SiLHUZz, Jun 11, 2009.

1. SiLHUZz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I live in the czech rep. and I recently got my HTC TyTN stolen and I am looking for a new phone and since the new iPhone 3G S is out, I´d say its the best choice.

I will be working in the US for 3 months and since Ill be there Id wanted to get the iPhone there too.

So, is it possible for a non us citizen to buy the 3G S from AT&T? Preferably without contract, or if with contract, can I than just terminated my contract after 30 days?
    Or is there any other way to obtain the 3G S for a reasonable price?
    Will it work in europe than? Is unlocking any hard? Does it need to be hardware modified?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Cheers

2. SiLHUZz thread starter macrumors newbie

Got your what? 3G you mean? 3G S are shiping 19June.

3. manorpark macrumors member

Hi

I thought you could buy these factory unlocked in the Czech Rep. ?

MP

4. SiLHUZz thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean the 3G right? I am talking about the 3G S. I am not sure when they will be shiping here, but I´m sure it will take some time and won´t be cheap. All my friends I know got their iPhones cheap from the US

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I am not from the US, but even if you are allowed to buy one from AT&T (though i suspect you won't if you don't have a credit history in the US), then what are you going to do with the phone when you go back. It will be locked to AT&T so you will live with a phone that need to be unlocked every 3 months to get an update or whenever you need to whip your phone info and restore.

6. SiLHUZz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, is it that complicated? I did´t know. I thought you could just unlock it once and thats it. So everytime an update is available I would have to crack it again? So only factory unlocked iPhones don´t need to be constantly cracked?

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

You can unlock once, but then you will not get any updates. So if you decide to get one, you will need to wait for the cracked update. Also from personal experience, you will notice the longer you don't update and and the more you install applications (especially from cydia, which a store that comes with the crack and gives you many free applications), the slower your iphone becomes and the more bugs you need to fix.

However, if you are happy not to update, then one crack will be enough, but then try to avoid installing too many apps. So if you really want the iphone and you are sure it won't be available in your country you can go with that.

8. SiLHUZz thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone know if WalMart will sell them simless or again with a AT&T contract?