can not use option key to empty the waste basket and I can't empty the basket

Discussion in 'macOS' started by natteaap, Feb 2, 2008.

1. natteaap macrumors member

Hi,
    When I try to empty my waste basket, it gives me a screen which says that I "can not empty it because I don't have the clearance to do so and some item are secured". (I try to translate as good as possible since I'm working on a dutch version). So it hints me to use the "option" key to delete the secure items. Tried. Does not work.
    I try to go to finder>secure empty basket ... does not work.
    I really want to get rid of those files, so any tips on how to do this?
    Thanx

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Try restarting and then emptying the trash.

If that fails, restart and hold the SHIFT button to boot to safe mode. Then empty the trash.

4. natteaap thread starter macrumors member

some imagefiles from a folder that came from another computer. A windows system.

5. natteaap thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, that didn't help.
    I managed to get every file out of the basket, except those few files that won't delete. When I was working in a windows environment I simply opened the dos shell
    and deleted it in dos, but I don't know if that is possible in Mac. Okay, I know Dos is not possible, but something similar in Unix?

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I remember reading a thread that teaches you how to force delete files. Check back later, I'll search the thread somehow for you. Not too sure if the threads is from MR or some other places.

Logging into safe mode should allow you to delete the files since it boots you in with mininum process you know.

Try again and see if it works. In the meantime, wait.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Open Terminal.app

Use cd ~/.Trash/ to navigate into your Trash can.

Then - with EXTREME CARE use the rm, or maybe even sudo rm command to get rid of those pesky files:

This will get rid of all files in the directory/folder you're in: sudo rm *

This will get rid of all jpg files in the same place: sudo rm *.jpg

Again, be careful, a misplaced sudo rm command could wipe a large portion of your system.

You might be better off trying the Force Empty Trash command in MainMenu (or similar in OnyX, if that has this capability) first.

8. natteaap thread starter macrumors member

In the meantime I have managed to delete the files in the basket through MainMenu, thanx for the tip, Mitthrawnuruodo. Looks like a handy app. Are there more of this apps that I should know about? Or a thread you can point out where to find these apps?

But the reluctant files also excist on a USB stick, and now every time I plug in that stick I get those files in the basket. Which is normal, but I can't seem to delete them from the USBstick. I didn't tried the rm solution though. Can I get in to the files on my stick using the terminal. And then use the rm option?

I really should get a good book on this ;o)

Thanx for all the help guys.