Can older versions of iPhoto & iMovie run under Mavericks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rexone, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Due to the loss of functionality in iPhoto '11 I have stayed with iPhoto '09. From what I'm reading it sounds like Apple have now given iMovie the cut-back treatment - lots of iOS style eye-candy but reduced functionality.
    As I need to remain with the older iPhoto, & by the sounds of it I'll need to stay with iMovie 9.0.9, anyone know if these older versions will still run under Mavericks?

2. plarmigan macrumors newbie

I still use iPhoto 09 and installed Mavericks last night. Haven't had time to play around with it but I did open up iPhoto after the update and everything seems to be working fine.

3. Drewski, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Drewski macrumors regular

I just started using imovie today after a Mavericks update last night, and so far I am seriously disappointed. To me, imovie is a whole new application, not an update by any means. I did CCC my hard drive before the Mavericks update, but I'd rather not jump back 3 OS to SL! Iphoto would not work after the Mavericks update, so I had to update that. So far, so good there. Imovie did not require an update, but I just downloaded all the updates and installed them. Shame on me.

My first impression is that the new imovie is nowhere near as intuitive or functional as the imovie '11 I was running previously. :mad:

*UPDATE*

I just read a few posts about Imovie 9.0.4 remaining in the app folder. I just checked mine and, sure enough, there are two versions of imovie in there. I fired it up and although it took a few minutes to access/organize the movie library again, it still works!

I will keep the new imovie, but definitely will not use it now, at least until I hear of some positive reviews on a functionality update.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to update or upgrade, but if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Change for improvement's sake is one thing, but change just to change is something else. I guess that's why I'm only now updating from Snow Leopard. :D

4. windnsea26 macrumors member

I don't like the new iMovie either. I think I'm going to have to revert back to the older version which imo was way easier to play with.

5. Byrnes3969 macrumors member

Thanks for the info about version 9.0.9 remaining! I was panicking because the new version can't seem to access my events and projects on external drives. I hit the Update events/project button but all that happens is my events are listed with no footage.

I like the import and export speed the quality of slow motion has improved and overall I cautiously like the new program. But yes it's a new program not an update