Can one go to an Apple Store to do a pre-credit checK? Or is it only AT&T stores?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheFam, Jul 2, 2008.

1. TheFam macrumors member

I'm really trying to avoid going to an AT&T store during this whole process:)

So if i can do it at one of the two Apple stores in my area, that would be great.

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I don't know about apple stores but I went to an att store today and they wouldn't even do the prequalify even though I showed the printout from att to them.

They suggested that I sign up for service now, get a free phone to use for a week and then when the launch is here just go in an swap phones. They said that will be the easiest way and that's what I did.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Hope that works out for you. I assume under the pretense that you would return the old phone and get a new one but sounds a bit dicey as well.

Clearly the person wanted to sell you a phone today because he is on commission so he took advantage of you.

I would not go back to that store on launch day. They sound unscrupulous.

4. Oman macrumors regular

Your kidding right? You will not be able to swap phones, unless you plan on getting a phone other than the iPhone. I went to an ATT store and they did the credit check for me without any questions or problems. The lady even looked up my FAN account and added all the information to the little printout she gave me to bring in on launch date. I really hope you are kidding, if not you have screwed yourself, big time..... :apple:

5. Asar macrumors regular

actually thats not a smart thing to do, because then you would have to do the early upgrade and pay $399 for a 8gb phone. take that phone back while you can! you have 14 days to return it! the person that told you that just wanted a sale!

6. TheFam thread starter macrumors member

Wow I feel sorry for you if what they are saying is true. Take it back while you can, if you can!

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Easy answer is to just call one of them :p.

I'm not sure if Apple stores can credit check with AT&T, can they? I thought it was like only recently did they receive the training :/.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Cal AT&T corporarte and report this dirty bastard.

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i would just straight up murder him. god i hate at&t i tried talking to a chick about whether or not my corporate discount would apply to the iphone, and after 15 mins of hold all she could tell me is that i cannot get a discount on the actual phone itself because it is subsidized, and im like thanks captain obvious and i hung up

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

You just got duped. Not only did he con you into giving him commission but he essentially just made you lose out on being able to upgrade a phone. Your free phone...?...Yeah that qualifies as an upgrade. You just got swindled. This is why I hate AT&T sales reps.

11. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Being someone who USED to sell cell phones part time during the summer take it from me. From the moment you become a sales rep and attend sales meetings it is pretty much drilled into you the "incentives" on obtaining "sales" and convincing people to buy, even if it means peddling out the crappiest phone you have on stock for free if it meant getting them out the door with a phone and a new contract. I got sick of it when a new manager was hired and started making sales reps stop people in the middle of the street to try and lure people into the store. Some see it as good salesmanship. I just see it as being annoying and sleezy. I remember getting commision for each succesful activation and contract at around 50-80 bucks...im not sure but it's pretty well known that part of the subsidy goes to paying commisions.

12. TheFam thread starter macrumors member

I just got back from doing a pre-credit approval at the AT&T store close to me.

No deposit required, yay good credit!

But while the credit check was being performed, he tried THREE times to give me a "free" phone to exchange on the 11th, but I didn't fall for that crap after reading this topic.

Kudos MacRumors!

13. yode macrumors 6502

i thought at&t had a 30 day policy where you can swap any phone once no questions asked, and just pay the difference in pricing of the subsidized phones. Say like you got a free phone now, and paid 200 dollars to swap to the iphone 3G. Or is this only with verizon?

14. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

I really agree. There were a lot of ppl already complaining that they just purchased a new phone with ATT, with the advice of a ATT rep. Now they are not eligible to get the iphone at 199 or 299, but they have to pay 399 or 499. Just wait. Its only a week.

15. achambe macrumors newbie

Can you bring the AT&T Credit Report to an Apple Store on July 11th to buy the phone from apple?

I assume you can but just want to be sure.

Thanks

16. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Wow you guys are super paranoid.

I just called ATT customer service and they said I'm golden. Basically since I"m a new customer I have 30 days to end my contract. When the Iphone launches I just go in and "exhange" my phone for the iphone and pay the difference in phone costs.

The only snafu would be if they are out of stock for 30 days since then I will have passed my grace period.

It would be the same as if I got this crappy phone and then took it back and upgraded to a phone with better reception. of course I would pay the difference in phone price but that's about it. Its the same deal that I'm doing with the iphone.

If I will have to pass the 30 day mark I will have to cancel my contract before the 30 days and just resign a new contract when they are instock. I highly doubt they'll be out of stock for 3-4 weeks though.

Jeez you guys need to settle down.

Zack

17. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I asked for a printout but he didn't know what I was talking about. He just told me that it would be in the system and they would look it up by my name.

He also tried to get me to get a free phone now and exchange it for the iPhone. I just can't see how that process will be any faster than setting up new service. I didn't do it.

18. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Agreed. Folks are a little too much into anything Apple is great, anything AT&T says is horrible.

As you said and even people above noted (but still screamed panic), you're within your 30 days to return the phone. There should be no problem going back in and exchanging for the new iPhone and paying the difference.

You did NOT get screwed.

I do wonder which way would be faster. I had considered doing something similar but then I'm worried that I "think" you might have to do the exchange at the store where you originally bought the phone. I don't know if I want to get locked in to having to go to an AT&T store vs. going to the Apple store.

What kind of phone did you get. Is it a 3G phone? It is a very tempting idea. If they were smart, they'd try to setup different lines depending on how much you need to do to get service. Swapping phones should be the easiest case. I like the idea because I've been wanting to try out a Razr2 v9, but I don't want to pay the $200 from the AT&T store. Its free online. I could try it for a week, then exchange it for an iPhone next week.

19. Churc22 macrumors member

If everyone was just paranoid and you were so sure, why did you feel the need to call customer service?

Also, to the original point of this thread...does Apple do credit checks/are the able to see credit checks done by an ATT store.

20. dmelgar macrumors 68000

He never said he was so sure. He had a bunch of folks yelling at him that he's screwed. He called to find out if it was true. Makes lots of sense.

21. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I went to the AT&T store the day the announcement came out about being "IReady". The AT&T store knew nothing about it. I really don't think they are near as organized as the Apple stores.

I'm also starting to have second thoughts about a new IPhone. The pricing seems kind of high, and you have to pay extra for text messages. I also read there is an activation fee...think it's $36-. I understand AT&T needs to make up some of the cost because the phones are subsidized, but there pricing seems pretty steep to me.

22. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Generally I agree. I wish phones were sold standalone and phone companies competed on rates. But they don't. Its a really nasty business. Early termination fees and contract just mean the lock you in and can provide awful customer service because you can't move for 2 years.

That said, the extra cost is $10/mo more for the data plan than before. I don't msg so I don't see that as an issue. I don't understand why anyone would want to use SMS when internet based IM programs will be available. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T makes Apple limit it somehow. $5-20/mo for texting is a big revenue stream for AT&T what Apple would be cutting off.

The activation fee is pretty standard for any phone. If you don't want a phone there's the iPod touch.

23. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

AT&T website even says you should wait until July 11 to sign up, rather than signing up early. someone just wanted a piece of the action if you ask me. :confused:

24. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

AT&T sux

There employees don't know anything about "get iReady" why put that crap out to the public without training your people.