Can one of the Sata ports be used as eSATA?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Is this even possible? I don't want to use up one more extra slot on my Mac Pro. I am willing to not use Bay 4 so I can route a SATA to eSATA cable outside of the Mac Pro.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since you could only connect one drive that way, I'm not sure what you'd gain. You're really that put off by adding a card?

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Well I was going to add an external RAID5 setup with a single SATAII connection.

Since I have 2 cards in the Mac Pro already (these are used under Windows), I plan to add another one (OSX capture card) I will have zero PCIe slots left. Now I have to think about how I am going to run out an eSATA cable out of the case since there are no extra holes on this?? I guess I have to be sneaky here....

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 drives. A SATA connection supports one drive. How do you plan for this to happen?

You can get a port multiplier external case, but that must be driven from a port-multiplier-compatible PCI/PCI-e card so you are back where you started.

SATA is not like Firewire. You cannot daisychain.

5. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Correct me if I am wrong, since it's been a while, but I thought SATA and eSATA connectors are different to begin with. :eek:

And like CanadaRAM pointed out, you need a PCIe card to hook up through eSATA connector a port-multiplier enclosure for SATA HDs and your Mac Pro. At least that's how mine is set up. ;)

Cheers. :apple:

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

One word: eSATA RAID....well that's two words. :cool:

http://www.caldigit.com/S2VRHD.asp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189158

7. -Alan- macrumors member

Check this article out.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks for that! So it is possible!

Unfortunately from what I've researched those two ports only work under OSX and not Windows [via Bootcamp] (I need capability on both).

If those ports were working ok, then I'm sure the Bay4 (or any other) port will work without issues. Either way, these ports go through the Intel controller, and I'm sure I'll get the same speed results even if I put in a PCIe cards for eSATA.

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

That's SATA to SATA, though...wanted to know if anyone is doing SATA to eSATA (even with those SATA to eSATA brackets) without putting in a PCIe card.