Can OSX Lion USB stick from macbook air be used in Mac Book Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 10-Dee-Q, Oct 9, 2011.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi, i was wondering can the usb OSX lion that is given for free when you buy MacBook Air be used to install LION on macBook Pro too ?
    is the USB stick the same as the one that sold seperatelly ?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

In the past, when they shipped with DVDs, they were all unique for that particular model. Prob the same way for the air.

3. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    Yeah i know in the past, the dvd is unique, but im not sure for the usb from the macbook air. The problem is that im about to purchase the mba online, i know it comes with the osx lion thumb drive, i guess i could save a lil bjit buy not buying another usb thumb drive lion for my old mbp, can anyone confirm ? Thx.

4. biohead macrumors 6502

If you're buying a new MBA, it won't come with the USB key. Only MBA's which came with Snow Leopard come with the key - Lion MBAs have the recovery partition and Internet Recovery.

The SL MBA USB keys were infact locked to MBA's only too. There is a way to make the USB key writable, but it involves the key being formatted so it's a blank 8GB drive. You had to restore you're own SL image to the disk (in my case, I have a Lion Image on a key I got given, after unlocking the drive).