Can pre-iPhone 5 devices run iPhone 5 apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swingerofbirch, Sep 13, 2012.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I can see how the iPhone 5 runs apps not optimized for its display: they are letterboxed.

But what about developers like the ones shown in the keynote who developed brand new apps for the iPhone 5 display with completely different user interfaces. Will they have to maintain a separate version of the app for older iOS devices? Will those older versions be packaged with the new versions, a la a universal app? I would think that would be needed in case you have two different screen-size iOS devices syncing with the same computer. And what about brand new apps—will developers be allowed to create apps that are only compatible with the iPhone 5?

I would think Apple would try to compel developers to have dual versions given that Apple is still selling the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and 4th generation iPod touch.

I thought Apple would have addressed these questions like they have during other transitions.

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same thing...they didn't talk about it at all during the keynote. I am sure they have it figured out somehow though.