Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Can a 13" Retina MBP output Retina-caliber graphics to an external monitor? If so:

- What is the maximum resolution supported?
- Can anyone recommend a high-resolution monitor to connect to a 13" Retina MBP?

Thanks!

Shubbeh

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Note: "Retina" is only a subjective function of a display's PPI vs. what Apple arbitrarily considers a "normal viewing distance". If you can't distinguish the individual pixels from said normal viewing distance, it can be considered "Retina". There is no particular PPI threshold below which a display is not Retina and beyond which it is Retina.

So with that being said, I refer you to the "Graphics and Video Support" section of the rMBP's spec sheet at http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ for what it can do.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks. I'd reviewed these specs. Is the maximum resolution capable of being outputted to a single monitor via Thunderbolt/DisplayPort 2560 x 1600?

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors

And what about the higher resolutions supported at lower refresh rates via HDMI (3840 x 2160, 4096 x 2160)––are those intended for video playback only?

HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

Shubbeh

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Apparently Mavericks only supports resolutions up to 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz through the Thunderbolt 2 port.
However, install Windows 8.1 and all of a sudden you can drive a 4K monitor at 60 Hz using that same Thunderbolt 2 port.
So the hardware supports it, but OS X currently does not.

As for the HDMI port, yes, I guess anything running at 30 or 24 Hz would be OK for movies but not much else.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Odd. So how is the new Mac Pro (running Mavericks) going to push 4K graphics to three monitors simultaneously?

Shubbeh

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
I can only guess that they will "fix" that in an upcoming release of Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.