Can Retina MBP output Retina-caliber graphics to external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marekkurlmann, Nov 6, 2013.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

Can a 13" Retina MBP output Retina-caliber graphics to an external monitor? If so:

- What is the maximum resolution supported?
    - Can anyone recommend a high-resolution monitor to connect to a 13" Retina MBP?

Thanks!

2. Shubbeh macrumors member

Note: "Retina" is only a subjective function of a display's PPI vs. what Apple arbitrarily considers a "normal viewing distance". If you can't distinguish the individual pixels from said normal viewing distance, it can be considered "Retina". There is no particular PPI threshold below which a display is not Retina and beyond which it is Retina.

So with that being said, I refer you to the "Graphics and Video Support" section of the rMBP's spec sheet at http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ for what it can do.

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'd reviewed these specs. Is the maximum resolution capable of being outputted to a single monitor via Thunderbolt/DisplayPort 2560 x 1600?

And what about the higher resolutions supported at lower refresh rates via HDMI (3840 x 2160, 4096 x 2160)––are those intended for video playback only?

4. Shubbeh macrumors member

Apparently Mavericks only supports resolutions up to 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz through the Thunderbolt 2 port.
    However, install Windows 8.1 and all of a sudden you can drive a 4K monitor at 60 Hz using that same Thunderbolt 2 port.
    So the hardware supports it, but OS X currently does not.

As for the HDMI port, yes, I guess anything running at 30 or 24 Hz would be OK for movies but not much else.

5. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Odd. So how is the new Mac Pro (running Mavericks) going to push 4K graphics to three monitors simultaneously?

6. Shubbeh macrumors member

I can only guess that they will "fix" that in an upcoming release of Mavericks.