can Robert Gibbs actually answer a question??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OCSpersonel, Jul 11, 2009.

1. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

really can he. now im sure theres been a few, there no need to state the obvious, but how can we trust our government with transparency and whatnot, if this guy, the speaker for the obama administration!!! cant even answer "REAL" questions without dancing around them and being rude to senior reporters???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5vzOAEQ-A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UoqPxNfLzA&feature=related
    ah! what, he mant to say! let me ask you this, how can the speaker for the white house be someone we should listen to if even his own boss has to step in to clarify???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAse6FIFCsM&feature=related
    okay, this one was just for fun, it wasnt JUST because gibbs was doing a bad job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7dPTxcAaE&NR=1
    let me ask the white house... isnt he the Speaker of the White house????

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Kinda weak. Little if any of this is Gibbs making himself look bad. It's the unfortunate job of the press secretary to (among other things) explain the gaffes of his bosses.

Joe Biden, as we all know, has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth. No surprise there. This certainly won't be the last time Gibbs has to explain what Biden meant, as opposed to what he said.

The Obama interruption? Pfft. What's that supposed to prove?

The plane incident? How do you expect Gibbs to give an answer to the press when it was clearly obvious that nobody gave him the answer?

The only one of these clips that doesn't look good is the first one, about the town hall meetings. Gibbs was clearly made to look bad, not necessarily by the press, but by what appears to be his bosses' indefensible position. (I wouldn't be surprised if it was Rahm that made that decision.)

None of this even remotely compares to the kind of idiocy we saw during the previous administration. Guys like Tony Snow were well-versed in giving the press nothing but double-talk (since their boss had nothing but indefensible positions), while others like Scott McClellan, you had to feel sorry for because he couldn't come up with plausible explanations for Bush & Cheney's evil deeds.

3. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Call me old school but when so called "reporters" aren't able to turn their cell phones off or put them in silent, then yeah, I don't see why Gibbs shouldn't consider the press to be inferior to him. That's just being polite 101, and it seems a lot of these reporters didn't get the memo..

4. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe im just misinformed, but if the press secretary dosnt have the answers about the White house, who does?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Press_Secretary
    read this:"Responsibilities center on collecting information about what is happening inside the Administration and around the world, and getting that information to the media in a timely and accurate fashion. The information includes things like a summary of the President's schedule for the day, whom the President has seen, called or had interactions with, and the official position of the Administration on the news of the day"
    so is it not his job to have info about what the administration is doing and giving it to the reporters?

and the interruption was just for giggles, i know it proves nothing

and im not sure why people keep bringing up past administrations, i t proves nothing. i didnt compare it so why are you. yah they have made mistakes, but so does this administration. and i you say it isnt you are way to far to one side.

opinioncircle, your not old school. they should respect the press conference the president and press secretary, but since were comparing administrations now, why was it okay for reporters not to stand fro the president when bush was in? i thought this was a tradition

and i started this forum to discus Gibbs job. i think hes doing a terrible job and for an administration who promises transparency, im looking a a wall. and unkept promises

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not aware of reporters not standing for Bush. (In fact, I think they stood for quite a lot. ;) )

With regards to Gibbs' responsibilities, I assume you're referring to my comment about the plane incident in New York.

If you recall, the fly-by decision was made by some functionary office without even Obama's knowledge. I'm sure that in the hours just after, even Obama and Rahm Emanuel were trying to figure out what happened. So for Gibbs not to know shortly after it happened is not unusual.

I'm also not sure why, if you're gonna call Gibbs incompetent, comparisons to other press secretaries are not fair game...if for no other reason than you didn't seem to have a problem with them.

Tony Snow
    Dana Perino

Finally, issues of transparency don't come from Gibbs. He doesn't make those decisions. They're made by guys like Obama and Emanuel. Shooting the messenger never works.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I kinda feel sorry for poor old Gibbs. He's been hired into a miserable job, given the nature of his bosses.

"...the official position of the Administration on the news of the day" has, so far, pretty much been out of touch with reality. Unemployment, deficits, budgets, taxation, whatever--you name it. If not out of touch, then 180 degrees off from the promises of the campaign trail about openness and honesty.

How does Gibbs deal with questions about this "Our economic policies are going exactly as planned" nonsense of this weekend? What are they planning on? Bankrupcy?