Can Sarah Palin Tell the Truth?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 20, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It seems that virtually everything that comes out of her mouth is either a lie or an exaggeration. Now many of them are small, inconsequential things but some are big and the pattern can't be ignored.

The latest is the lie about whether she accepted the VP nomination immediately, as she told Charlie Gibson or the oh so quaint story she told Sean Hannity.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

A better question is can any politition tell the truth.

You know as well as I do everything out of there mouth is just lies, exaggerations and BS.

Yes this includes Obama.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I agree with you rdowns she doesn't seem able to tell the truth about anything.

This seems a perfect description of her. Is this the real palin?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes... excusing Palin's lies by saying "well everyone does it".

So it's ok to lie now because "they all do it"?

Isn't that moral relativism?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't this the answer to her famous question: "What is it exactly that a VP does?" Looking at Cheney, the only reasonable answer seems to be "The VP lies through his or her teeth". You can't blame Palin for getting the wrong idea.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no what I mean by that is that is it all canidates are scum untrustworthy UNFIT to lead piles of crap who care only about getting power.

I am getting annoyed how everyone is on Palin case here but let Obama get away with doing the same type of stuff. Every little thing Palin does is blown up yet Obama can do larger things and it complete passed over.

It more just everyone turning a blind eye to just focus on one. It would be nice to see an honest campaign for once but they all lie.

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I wouldnt trust anyone with an inconsistent story and who has bypassed a rule that government e-mails have to be in the government account (thanks for that one, Anon ;))

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does anyone remember when Al Gore was painted as a "serial exaggerator" by Republicans? It seemed at the time to be a serious charge, leveled with such ernest. I mean, how could you trust anyone who had trouble telling a story totally straight? The same standards don't seem to apply to Palin. How shocking.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Tell us how you really feel.

Can you give some examples of how Obama has lied on anywhere near the same scale as Palin. Heck, let's add McCain too, just to give you a fighting chance. ;)

I'm not saying that Obama is squeaky clean, but I'm wondering how you can seriously compare the two? Or maybe my answer is in the fact that you're calling every lie of Palin's "little."

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's when Palin is honest that I really get scared.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Please, start a thread on all of these constant lies coming from the Obama camp, if you think he is doing the same thing as McCain/Palin. I think you'll soon find out that McCain/Palin have taken their lies to a whole new level, doing it every single interview and in every single TV advertisement.

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Sources please.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

The question had nothing to do with the location in which they were asked... Why would the answer need to address it? How does this come out as a lie? It's sure a good thing that the members of one party in America manage to walk around with little halos over their heads.

14. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Her response gave the very explicit implication that her daughters were consulted BEFORE she accepted. That is clearly not the case based on Campaign spin. She had already accepted before her daughters knew, so to paint this as a tender mommy moment where her children had input is quite a stretch.

As to the halo's, we all know only one party is capable of the high moral fiber that the evangelical right aspires to perpetuate in our country. WWJD indeed...

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

let me refese that.

All the news cares about is Palin and most of which about issues that have little to do with things. The only reason she is a big deal is no one knew who she was before the VP nomination so now they are digging for any dirt that in the past would of already played out and been rather worthless.

I rather see more information on Obama and McCain than over a worthless little more than a figure head spot. Lets face it the VP spot per our constitution is where the LOOSER got after the election. So its power is very limited. Minus really past few years the VP did little of anything.

Yet all the news cares about is Palin and not focusing on the real issues. Of which as I have said before both the candidates are worthless unfit to lead pile of crap. We have awful candidates this year. Both are better than Bush but not by much.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of course she can't she is a politician, why not just insert any name and ask if they can tell the truth.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've found that it's mostly Republicans who trot out this excuse every time their politicians are exposed as some of the worst liars holding office.

Yes, all politicians lie to some extent, but some people take it to an extreme. Look at the whole McCain campaign. Almost everything that has been coming out of his mouth for the last week is a lie.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Honestly I don't care who wins anymore, I have been so turned off by this whole election it won't matter who gets elected nothing will change. We might as well just set up a big mud pit so both sides can just fling. It is to the point where if something is talked about the election I turn the channel.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I agree with part of your statement. Nothing will change regardless of which corporate candidate is elected. The only difference is that if Obama is elected, things might stop getting worse, and if McCain is elected, the country will continue along the destructive path it's been going.

But the second part of your statement is just another excuse, trying to paint both sides as equally dirty. Wrong, again. Look no further than the McCain campaign for some of the most dishonest and dishonorable campaigning this country has seen. All of his television ads completely lie and misrepresent Obama's positions, whereas Obamas ads are all somewhat based in reality and fact.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But neither side is discussing anything in detail. It is just talking points.

Here is a theory I had about Palin. Did McCain choose her knowing she would hurt his campaign in the long run just to shut up the base and than hope that Obama really blows it for 4 years giving it back to a younger Republican to run in 2012. Let Obama win, take the heat of the Repubs and throw the blame on the Dems if things get worse.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Taking one for the team??

That is so prison-of-war'ish. ;)

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

She didn't step off the plane in Ohio and suddenly become the nominee. Who says that she didn't discuss it with them on the plane, before she was nominated, on the way there, etc? And why does it matter, anyway? It has nothing to do with holding office.

I'm glad to know that the media in the US is making the analyzing of her family relations more important than covering economic issues or actual political developments.

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You miss the point that the story she told itself is politics on her part - building the Palin brand.

She doesn't have any economic insight or she'd be focusing on that. :rolleyes:

24. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Except that McCain is saying he's a lot more experienced than Obama. With an intelligent person, with experience comes wisdom and good judgment. This selection does not seem to show either.

McCain has had four bouts of cancer, at least two of those were the serious, fatal kind. He campaigns in the sun without a hat at midday from the Middle East to Florida to Arizona (more bad judgment and sheer recklessness -- his health could affect all of us -- so he won't seem "weak").

He's 71, has high blood pressure, and various other problems "normal" for his age. He set a three-hour time limit for a select group of reporters to review 1,500 pages of medical records. His selection of VP says a lot (all bad, IMO) about him, and he hasn't provided the information for me to be sure that he has the normal life expectancy for a 71 year-old.

He says he's a "Maverick," but he selected someone to strengthen the support of his party's "base," rather than the person he would have preferred to serve with, or even, someone with the minimum qualifications to fill in if he's incapacitated even for a day. Sarah Palin, and her selection, are more important, IMO, than the typical running mate.

The reason commentary about her in the press doesn't go into her record and her stand on the issues is she has almost no record (accounts are that she hasn't done much of anything as Governor, and there are no previous national press clips to look at), and she won't speak to the press about her stand on the issues. So we have very few words to go by, and most of them are lies. She even lies about a "fluff" question about "the call."

One of the only substance-related questions she has answered is that she can imagine having to attack Russia if we follow her instincts about allowing Georgia into NATO. So, she can calmly discuss nuclear war "without blinking." Great. Also, Drill, baby, drill. Because she's an expert on energy and 20% of US energy comes from Alaska (well, no, 2-4%, but really, how can you "pick on every little thing she says?"), and according to McCain she knows more about energy than ANYONE in the U.S, even though oil production in Alaska has gone down while she's been Governor (yes, picky picky picky), and several other states, with their own governors, produce more.

25. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That's a good point. The Republican camp KNOWS she doesn't know s^%, so they are keeping her from actually discussing politics at the level the rest of the adults are called to discuss. They are literally teaching her all this stuff as we speak.

If that's not one of the scariest things you've ever heard, you voted for Bush.