Can some of this parts be reused in MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boneca, Apr 11, 2009.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I'm finally have a chance to pick up a new MacPro which I was dreaming of for a long time. I got some extra money and can spend on a new system.

I have a question. I just recently build a new PC with following specs:
    PCU: i7 920 Nehalem 2.67Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P6T
    GPU: 2x XFX GeForce 9800GT
    PSU: Corsair 620W Modular
    RAM: Corsair DDR3 1333 12GB (6x2)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred
    DVD-RW: Samsung 22x SATA LightSribe
    HD:
    WD 300GB VeloRaptor SATA
    WD 500GB Caviar SATA
    WD 2x640GB Black SATA
    WD 2x320GB Blue SATA

3x 20" ACD Monitors
    Apple wireless keyboard
    Logitech MX Revolution mouse

Can some of this parts be reused in MacPro such as memory, video cards, how many HDs I can have in MacPro?

Also would it make sence to get the chepest MacPro and upgrade it with what I have...

Thanks all in advance

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The HDDs, ODD, monitors, keyboard, and mouse. That's it. Nothing else is compatible.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The DVD-RW and the hard drives could be used, as well as the screens and mouse.

Usually the Mac Pro takes 4 hard drives though it is possible to fit another one in the optical drive bay, not sure if you can fit more than one in the newer Mac Pros as I don't think there are any spare SATA connections over the two already in the optical bay.

EDIT: The Velociraptor may not fit, it depends on which version of the drive you bought. You may also be able to use a graphics card with Windows.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

And of course the Vista license will work fine if you want to dual boot and install a Vista partition using BootCamp.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

6. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replies.

So basically I can use 3 of my HDDs in addition to the one it will have. DVD-RW drive if I want to add additional one. I'm not sure what ODD stands for.
    Monitors, keyboard, mouse, OS in Bootcamp - obviously. My velocity drive is pretty new, latest version.

No luck with memory and video cards? I thought MacPro uses DDR3 memory, what is so different from what I have, also why the Video Cards can't be used.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Optical Disc Drive, so the DVD-RW.

The graphics card(s) may work in Windows, and it depends on how many power connectors they require. As for the RAM, I think it needs to be ECC (Error Correction Code) though I'm not so sure with the new Mac Pros.

It needs to be the backplane ready version otherwise it won't fit.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can always make your pc a hackintosh.....food for thought

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The RAM is a different clock, and the video cards just CAN'T work. No drivers exist.

10. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the idea, I actually thought about it but I rather have Mac hardware and run Vista on it than other way around.

I'm just a little concerned right now as it seems it will cost me twice as much I can afford at this time to buy comparable MacPro system to my PC.

11. jons macrumors 6502

The ram clock doesn't matter, 1333 will downclock to 1066 no problem. However it's not ECC memory.

And yes the 9800gt can work in a mac pro, it has the same core as the 8800gt, so the same drivers are used. You have to reflash the cards rom though.