Can somebody answer this question regarding wifi and 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Dec 14, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Posted this in the battery gate thread but thought it would be better as a different issue

At night when I go to bed would it affect battery life if the phone is switching from wifi to 3G? If I'm finished with my phone when it's on wifi and sometimes I click it and it's on 3G for a second.When waking it...is this normal? Or should it stay on wifi when asleep? Is it to do with my wifi connection for why it is doing this?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's doing battery conservation on it's own, putting the wifi transmitter into standby when it's unused for long periods of time.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

So it being on 3G when asleep helps battery life?

Last few nights I've been putting my phone in a certain position by my bed where the best possible wif connection may be incase it switches to 3G in standby...is this pointless?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yes, why having something running if it's not being used. It automatically realizes this.

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

Well I thought since wifi is alot better to have on than using 3G due to battery life that having wifi on when asleep would help battery life

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Turning off Cellular Data while keeping WiFi on at night when you go to sleep would actually be the best way to prevent this. That way, most of your messages(excluding non-iMessage MMS messages) would be directly over WiFi.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can answer this question. How is your battery affected? Do you not charge at night?

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I got pretty much everything turned on EXCEPT bluetooth, wifi is on 24/7, and all i can say is i loose about 4% battery overnight(about 10hours) which is to be expected (or even 5% every 10hours of the phone being in sleep).

So it seems to be working fine for me at least.

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

No I dont as I don't have a plug my side to do so

I'm just wondering if my phone turning to 3G on asleep hurts the phone battery wise than if it stayed on wifi for example

10. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

wifi uses more power than 3g. Unless your 3g signal is poor then it boosts power that may be just as bad as wifi.

11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

Wifi is far better battery life than 3G....that just kills my battery.