Can someone check to see if iMessage compresses photos/videos yet?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Siderz, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Siderz, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

Siderz macrumors 6502a

Best way to check would be to send it to a device over iMessage, saving it to the camera roll, then transferring it to a computer and checking the file size from the computer. Either use the cable to transfer it, Dropbox, or if AirDrop works then I guess use AirDrop. Don't use something like Imgur, this will compress the photo.

This is something I've complained about in the past, iMessage doesn't compress photos/videos before sending them. This means you can get huge photos of like 3MB sent up and down, not only wasting storage space but also wasting mobile data and even iCloud storage.

I delete all of the pictures sent over iMessage (And my computer's iMessage will keep them so it's not like they're completely gone) but this is a bore. Luckily it seems you can nuke all the pics in a thread now but that doesn't solve wasting mobile data.

Edit: Before you suggest email, WhatsApp, or the least useful texting, bear in mind this has been suggested so many times already that it doesn't need to be suggested anymore.

Also just because something is "compressed", does not mean it looks like it was taken on a potato. Something can be compressed and still be good quality, BBM's compression is awful, compression doesn't have to be to a BBM standard. Go to page 2 to see my examples.

2. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

2.3 MB a picture for me.

3. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this is so annoying, I expect <300KB if it's going to be sent over the Internet as a message. I don't know what their game could be not compressing photos but I think everyone is losing out.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

100% quality I suppose

5. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel like if it's sent as a message, likelihood is it's either going to go nowhere else or just uploaded to something like Twitter where it'll be compressed anyway. If you need it uncompressed then AirDrop should be good.

6. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

That's something amazing about iMessage, full quality photos. WhatsApp does compress them tho.

7. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to use WhatsApp but now use Telegram, and I guess there is a bit too much compression, however with Telegram, if you choose to send a photo as a "document", then it'll send uncompressed :)

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Personally I like that it sends full quality, but it would be preferable to have the option to compress (Even if it was just an option in settings and not every time.)

9. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, actually, an option in the settings would work for me.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them uncompressed? What benefit is there? I think there needs to be at least a bit of compression, because pics sent over Telegram/WhatsApp aren't super ugly, they're just not the highest resolution.

10. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

It didn't seem to compress it.

I send a photo through iMessage and attempted to email it. The actual size to send was the almost same as the original that I emailed to my computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I save many pictures that are sent to me via iMessage into my camera roll and then save them onto my computer or other places--having them come to me in full quality essentially makes it as if I took them myself with the same quality that would be there for the other pictures I took on my camera, or at least the full quality of whatever device that the photo was already taken on.

12. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Send it through text instead. This feature is awesome.

13. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the pics.

Well beta 1 isn't final so we've still got time to hope they'll give us some more options.

----------

Good idea I'll ask my brother currently in the US to start spending like £1 per text sending us photos to the UK :)

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, you can actually just do it over email as there you even get a choice of what size of a picture to include as I recall. And similar to iMessage it just uses data and works fairly quickly too generally speaking.

15. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Use email or quit whining, it's not even a big deal :p

16. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't tell me it isn't a big deal, we obviously have different priorities here, I'm not gonna get my whole family to fiddle around with emails as a replacement for instant messaging.

17. RTWG macrumors regular

RTWG

I love that it sends full-quality files. Anything else would be silly in this world of broadband/4G.

18. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it's silly to be sending full resolution files to a tiny screen...if you want it high res, send it over AirDrop, why does AirDrop even exist?

19. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Then quit whining because it's not a big deal to just use the original file really

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does AirDrop work over distance?

What's the point of all the good things about iMessage and its powerful infrastructure if basic photos are going to be compressed? I agree that having an option somewhere would be nice and probably useful for at least some, but at the same time if there's only one default I would rather have it send the actual thing I'm sending rather than some compressed version of it.

21. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does that even mean? I've already listed my reasons for not liking it:

• Wastes mobile data
    • Wastes internal storage
    • Wastes iCloud storage
    • Takes more time to upload/download

And you think it isn't a big deal? ~3MB is big for a photo file which is only being viewed on a tiny phone screen. Now imagine someone sends 10 photos at ~3MB each, that's 30MB.

----------

Then there's iCloud Drive/Mail Drop

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair, in many cases photos sent over iMessage aren't used just for viewing on the phone, they are often saved or transferred somewhere and used as real full photos just like any other photo taken by the phone could be.

Well, if there are other options to send full photos, there are similarly other options to send compressed photos, like plain MMS and email, as mentioned before.

23. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I like that it sends full resolution photos unlike SMS which compresses them to 1024X768. And by the way, it taking longer for the photo to download, when has that every impacted you? I never have any problems with photos needing to download. They appear instantly when I get the message.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

The real ultimate point is that, yes, it would be nice if some options existed, and it would be useful to some. None of us here can explain why things are this way or that way given that Apple designed them, and none of us here can change that. Realistically there's nothing more to say about it beyond that.

25. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why?

----------

You don't see it downloading, you only get the notification once it's downloaded.