Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Can someone confirm if sideloading apps still work?

Branaghan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
How to side load iOS apps via .ipa file
NOTE: You can sideload an app from any computer and not lose existing data (e.g. does not need to be performed on the computer your iOS device is synced with)
1. Open iTunes
2. Connect iOS device to computer and view inside iTunes by clicking on the name of the iOS device in the upper right-hand corner.
3. Click on the Apps tab.
4. In Windows Explorer, open the folder containing the .ipa file and double-click the file.
5. In iTunes, the app name will appear in the list.
6. Click the “Install” button. It should now say “Will Install” and the app icon should appear on the simulated home screen. (Alternatively, you can drag and drop the app icon onto the simulated home screen.)
7. Click “Apply” in the lower left-hand corner of iTunes.
8. Wait for the iOS device to finish syncing and then eject the iOS device from the computer.

Basically if any app was saved as .IPA and later removed from the Apple Store, you could still upload to your iPhone/iPAD without even requiring internet access. I use the IPP 10.5 but have not checked if iPADOS 14 will still work with this method I just described.

12.6.5.3 is from September 12, 2018, and like I said it was the last version to keep the built-in App Store browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.