Can someone confirm the rMBP has the OS X install partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darwinian, Jun 17, 2012.

1. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I'm wondering if the rMBP ships with the Lion installer on a hidden volume as it has recently.

Additionally, can someone confirm for me that the volume format is case INsensitive Mac OS X Journaled? Thanks in advance.

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I can't confirm it (yet), but I also can't imagine any reason they would change it from what works so well on the MBA

3. darwinian thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Yeah, that's what I kind of figure but would be nice to have eyes-on. Unless there's another way I'm not aware of, I'll want to re-install the OS out of the box with case sensitivity. Else things don't always play nice with my Linux-based code repositories.

4. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

It has the OS X Recovery partition. Of course, the partition doesn't include OS X. If you want to reinstall the OS you'll need to use the Recovery partition to download it from the interwebs. I'm a little surprised that a reinstall USB wasn't included. The Air includes one, correct?

5. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

The Air included one in October 2010 when it was 1st launched. Then Lion was launched. I don't think the Mid 2011 Air had any install media included. I don't think any machines that come preinstalled with Lion have recovery media included. Recovery partition only.

6. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Alright, thanks for the info. I feel like the Recovery partition is a poor substitute for a physical backup of the OS.