Can someone enlighten me on how to calm myself down

tifa_mo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Some of you might have seen my replies in threads here and there with what happened last night. I got pre-approved, which wasn't a smooth process at all because I had a ATT Business account; I did everything I could to optimize wifi in my apartment; I stayed up late despite the fact that I usually have early morning conf calls with Europe; I kept refreshing the app and online store until 12:10-ish when it finally was not under maintenance.

Frustrated as hell - and yes I know it's a first world problem - Everyone else is posting their success 11/03 stories and some even have their orders preparing for shipment. While mine is stuck at 11/17 - 11/24 delivery estimate. I know life isn't always fair (sorry I'm escalating to this level) but c'mon this isn't college admission or job interviews, when how you work only plays a factor into the actual outcome. This should have been a much smoother process for a tech giant that claims customers first. I've gone through the same sh*t every year and this year was no better.

And it doesn't help that my company sits right next to Apple and I've just passed by their cafeteria and can't stop but hate the people inside...they deliver exceptional products but they don't deliver them on time! (no excuses here, I work in consumer tech too)

TL/DR: I got pre-approved to upgrade, but app store and website both didn't work until 12:10, so got a 2-3 weeks shipping estimate. Browsing this site and seeing people having their shipments being prepared makes me REALLY frustrated.

Last edited:

TedJustAdmitit

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2010
Exact same thing happened to my wife and we ordered at the same time. Mine arrives on the 3rd and hers at your times (17th-24th. Worst thing is I was ordering for her and had both phones open at the same time ready to go. Also, I was going so fast I didn't see she could have picked it up on the 3rd and I had it shipped.

TL/DR: I am sleeping on the couch tonight.

tifa_mo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Exact same thing happened to my wife and we ordered at the same time. Mine arrives on the 3rd and hers at your times (17th-24th. Worst thing is I was ordering for her and had both phones open at the same time ready to go. Also, I was going so fast I didn't see she could have picked it up on the 3rd and I had it shipped.

Hahah thanks this made me laugh. Congrats on your Nov. 3rd order though ;)

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Take a deep breath, and remember that at the end of the day this is just a new phone. I'm sure the one you have now works perfectly fine. Also keep in mind that many people who started trying to preorder their phones at midnight ran into much bigger problems and have delivery dates several weeks after yours.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Some of you might have seen my replies in threads here and there with what happened last night. I got pre-approved, which wasn't a smooth process at all because I had a ATT Business account; I did everything I could to optimize wifi in my apartment; I stayed up late despite the fact that I usually have early morning conf calls with Europe; I kept refreshing the app and online store until 12:10-ish when it finally was not under maintenance.

Frustrated as hell - and yes I know it's a first world problem - Everyone else is posting their success 11/03 stories and some even have their orders preparing for shipment. While mine is stuck at 11/17 - 11/24 delivery estimate. I know life isn't always fair (sorry I'm escalating to this level) but c'mon this isn't college admission or job interviews, when how you work only plays a factor into the actual outcome. This should have been a much smoother process for a tech giant that claims customers first. I've gone through the same sh*t every year and this year was no better.

And it doesn't help that my company sits right next to Apple and I've just passed by their cafeteria and can't stop but hate the people inside...they deliver exceptional products but they don't deliver them on time! (no excuses here, I work in consumer tech too)

TL/DR: I got pre-approved to upgrade, but app store and website both didn't work until 12:10, so got a 2-3 weeks shipping estimate. REALLY frustrated.
Everybody's experience is different. Some people were able to access the App Store/website relatively quickly and others were not. However, your ship date could be delivered earlier than expected. In My experiences, Apple tends to deliver ahead of schedule.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I didn't pre-order the X... but I will say that Apple can do a lot better.

I did recently pre-order the XBox One X... which won't be available for shipping until late November... but at least I could pre-order it NOW and know when mine will ship without having to wake up at 3am rolling the dice on internet connections, etc... to get an order in.

The entire process is horrid... and glad I didn't have to deal with it with the 8 Plus.

Reactions: Bethanie21

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
You're upset now because the wound is still fresh. It hasn't even been a day after the fact. Give it a few more days or so and by next week you'll be excited as the days count down to when yours will be in your hands!

tifa_mo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Assuming this isn’t a sarcastic post, maybe you should log out of Macrumors and chill for a few days. Hating Apple Employees (that have nothing to do with your shipping delay by the way), and being upset about a two week delay shows a lack of perspective.
No it wasn't sarcastic. Hate is a strong word and I should have used another word perhaps. But hey I know my wifi was good, the only thing causing the delay was due to server/back end engineering on Apple's side. I know it's just a phone, and exactly because of that, Apple shouldn't have made it so difficult for anyone to get one.
[doublepost=1509136801][/doublepost]
You're upset now because the wound is still fresh. It hasn't even been a day after the fact. Give it a few more days or so and by next week you'll be excited as the days count down to when yours will be in your hands!
Thank you!

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I understand the frustration....for sure. Last year, I had similar issues getting my Jet Black iPhone 7+. I didn't get it until 10 days after launch or so. But the good news is that the date moved up a few days as time progressed. So your ship date estimate is likely to be a worst case scenario.

I got lucky this year and for the first time I have a launch day ship date for a Silver 256 GB phone. Pretty excited. But I'll tell you, it's nothing to be too terribly upset over. 10 days or 2 weeks pass quicker than you realize. And just think, people that ordered this morning are waiting until mid-December.

Sixcranker

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
A 3V cocktail can calm you down....Vodka, Vicodan and Valium. Should calm you down for a couple of days.

DaveOP

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
No it wasn't sarcastic. Hate is a strong word and I should have used another word perhaps. But hey I know my wifi was good, the only thing causing the delay was due to server/back end engineering on Apple's side. I know it's just a phone, and exactly because of that, Apple shouldn't have made it so difficult for anyone to get one.
[doublepost=1509136801][/doublepost]
Thank you!
You will have a phone in several weeks. My suggestion stands, go outside, do something fun tonight and this weekend, and stop thinking about this. Life is short, there are far more important things.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I didn't pre-order the X... but I will say that Apple can do a lot better.

I did recently pre-order the XBox One X... which won't be available for shipping until late November... but at least I could pre-order it NOW and know when mine will ship without having to wake up at 3am rolling the dice on internet connections, etc... to get an order in.

The entire process is horrid... and glad I didn't have to deal with it with the 8 Plus.
Fewer people preorder X Box, so you don’t have to get up as soon as preorders open...

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It's just a phone. At this very moment, there are children struggling to survive cancer. You have a phone that is going to arrive 1 to 2 weeks later than you hoped. Perspective.

Reactions: Jim165

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Fewer people preorder X Box, so you don’t have to get up as soon as preorders open...
Doesn't change my point any... and that is the entire Apple preorder process is garbage. Still, I've always been lucky and got the opening day shipment of the 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus by staying up till midnight.

Didn't mean I liked it though. It was a complete PITA and most likely will continue to be.

I guess I should thank Apple this year though... releasing the X meant I could wake up at 5am and preorder the 8 Plus with no problems for release day arrival... which is exactly what happened.

tifa_mo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I understand the frustration....for sure. Last year, I had similar issues getting my Jet Black iPhone 7+. I didn't get it until 10 days after launch or so. But the good news is that the date moved up a few days as time progressed. So your ship date estimate is likely to be a worst case scenario.

I got lucky this year and for the first time I have a launch day ship date for a Silver 256 GB phone. Pretty excited. But I'll tell you, it's nothing to be too terribly upset over. 10 days or 2 weeks pass quicker than you realize. And just think, people that ordered this morning are waiting until mid-December.
Thank you for this.

My iPhone 7+ experience wasn't any better but I ordered it the morning after so no one to blame there. I just didn't expect to go through the same process again this year - and this time I actually did my homework and stayed up til midnight

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
i think this situation happens to most people eventually. take some comfort in the fact you probably did nothing wrong. it’s a capacity issue and the size of the “pipe” is not infinite. on any given day, there will be a percentage who make it through and a percentage who don’t, even in some cases where they tried to enter the pipe at the exact same time. modem speed i don’t think makes as much difference as people think, it’s not how fast you are, it’s where you are in the line and if you are one of the lucky who gets into the pipe while others await random admission.

the servers cannot process 10 million orders simultaneously..it has to batch them and allocate them and there’s little you can do once the bytes are sent to affect that selection. it’s not a lot of data being sent so i don’t think network speed plays as much a role.

i’ve had one or two launch day successes and many more unsuccessful in getting first launch day. it happens and honestly MOST users are not getting their phone launch day. so know you are in good company and not alone. out of an entire day, only 5-7 minutes worth will get launch day.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Stock is likely limited. Just remind yourself you've got a device coming. Some people want it but couldn't get it all for whatever reason. Just take a deep breath, it'll be there soon enough right?

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017

TL/DR: I got pre-approved to upgrade, but app store and website both didn't work until 12:10, so got a 2-3 weeks shipping estimate. REALLY frustrated.
It’s a phone....that’s all. These are not “real world problems”

DJosche

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2017

I have an apple store 5 minutes up the road and I overlooked that option too, now mine are coming 11/17-11/24

Reactions: TedJustAdmitit

tifa_mo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
i think this situation happens to most people eventually. take some comfort in the fact you probably did nothing wrong. it’s a capacity issue and the size of the “pipe” is not infinite. on any given day, there will be a percentage who make it through and a percentage who don’t, even in some cases where they tried to enter the pipe at the exact same time. modem speed i don’t think makes as much difference as people think, it’s not how fast you are, it’s where you are in the line and if you are one of the lucky who gets into the pipe while others await random admission.

the servers cannot process 10 million orders simultaneously..it has to batch them and allocate them and there’s little you can do once the bytes are sent to affect that selection. it’s not a lot of data being sent so i don’t think network speed plays as much a role.

i’ve had one or two launch day successes and many more unsuccessful in getting first launch day. it happens and honestly MOST users are not getting their phone launch day. so know you are in good company and not alone. out of an entire day, only 5-7 minutes worth will get launch day.
Then perhaps they should have built a queue system like AT&T. Although there seems to be horror stories with that yesterday as well.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
If it helps, I started updating the website and the Apple Store app 5 minutes before preorders went live. I could not get on until 6-7 minutes after it had started so I got a delivery estimate same as yours (November 17-24). And that is perfectly fine. I have used my iPhone 6 for 3 years now. A few more weeks won't hurt :)

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
I get where you’re coming from OP. This is all based on the principle. I’d be upset too. Apple got all you IUP people stuck with ordering through apple app or website and even though you’re using their program to order, the majority of you got screwed.
If I may suggest, next year, order through Verizon. This is two years or more now they’ve gone live earlier than the other stores and had very quick, easy, and straightforward order process.

DJosche

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2017
I get where you’re coming from OP. This is all based on the principle. I’d be upset too. Apple got all you IUP people stuck with ordering through apple app or website and even though you’re using their program to order, the majority of you got screwed.
If I may suggest, next year, order through Verizon. This is two years or more now they’ve gone live earlier than the other stores and had very quick, easy, and straightforward order process.
I was able to get through on Safari on my iPhone around 2 minutes after 3am, still got 17th delivery