Can someone explain to me why there are lines at Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 20, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

When there is the ability to pre-order like there was last Friday, I don't understand why there are long lines at Apple stores. Last year it made sense b/c the pre-order was a mess and millions of people weren't able to get through (me included). But being that it was relatively smooth this year, it doesn't make sense to me.

For the die-hards, isn't it easier to wake up at 3am, go to your computer for 15-20 minutes and go back to sleep rather than waking up at 5am and sitting outside the store (or even waiting overnight in some cases)!? I get that some people enjoy the "experience" of it but I don't understand the excessively long lines. So what's the reason?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Launch day delivery sold out in about an hour
    After that delivery was pushed back (like me) to Oct 5 and later
    Some want it launch day

3. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

exactly. my delivery date was 9/28 and i didnt want to wait that long so i will go wait in line

4. 4rtemidis macrumors regular

4rtemidis

Because some people just can't wait and they think that the iPhone 5 will make their life better but after they buy it, they will realize that only the iPhone 6 will really make their life better... :D

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Some missed the pre-order or weren't available to for whatever reason.

Others such as myself were undecided or had issues with their account where eligibility was messed up.

A lot of possibilities.

Then some just like buying in person.

6. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Fair points but it just seems like those are all minority of people. Most people who wanted the phone on launch day knew they were buying it last Friday and knew they had to wake up at 12am PST or 3am EST and that would be simpler than having to wait on line at the store. I guess there are a lot more people who fall into the aforementioned criteria than I would have expected.

7. UHFrank macrumors member

UHFrank

we can't underestimate the amount of people in the world

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

The real thing to do is go to your carrier store rather than the Apple store. Last year, there were 5 people outside the AT&T store for the 4S at 7AM on launch day. I'm sure the line will be bigger this year, but I'm sure you could wake up, get there at 6AM and easily pick one up. I almost wish I'd gone that route myself, given the large chance I'll miss my delivery tomorrow.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was up at 3:00 a.m. Eastern
    I punched the button constantly for an hour
    I did not get through until about 4:50
    My phone is coming October 5th

Simple
    I can live with it
    Others can't

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Although it used to be that many of these were shipped overseas and that may still be the case? There are some people who want to make a profit and others who just want a phone and they may have sold their previous phone prior to the announcement in order to get the most money possible. Who knows?

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'll ask tomorrow morning and report back.

For me, I'd have ordered online as done in the past, but it didn't work out. That said, no way I'm waiting in a long line. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morn maybe 7AM. If not bad I'll wait, otherwise not happening for me.

Another thing is, lines may possibly be a lot shorter this year. Could go either way, we'll see.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my perspective. I'd rather wait a little longer and order it online then dealing with the craziness at any of the stores tomorrow.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It's the occupy Apple stores movement. Rich kids with no jobs?

Or maybe they took a few days off work. I don't know, but my time is more valuable than sitting outside an Apple store.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Not to mention there are a lot of people who want it on launch day who do not follow Apple as closely as we all do. They probably expected to wake up and preorder the phone last Friday morning, and be good to go. Remember, with the 4S, you could preorder for in store pick up, which is what I did because I did not know exactly how ordering it to my house would go down.

Others probably always planned to go to local stores.

My friend at AT&T wouldn't tell me how many they were getting, but she did tell me she was under the impression they wouldn't get another in store shipment for 3-5 weeks.

15. jcapz macrumors member

So true!!! Lol!

16. leenak macrumors 68020

I think rich kids have 'people' that do that for them, possibly the people waiting in line who they will pay a few hundred dollars to wait :)

When I bought my iPad 2, I waited 90 minutes at Best Buy. The person in front of me was obviously trying to get his for resell and tried to buy multiple but they didn't let him.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, hate to break it to ya but this year's pre-delivery was a mess as well. For a lot of people.
    Plus, a lot of people don't know about the pre-ordering, and find out about the iPhone as reviews gets posted by tech sites and mainstream media. So it makes sense for a lot of people to go wait in line.
    Of course, some do it just for fun :)

18. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

yeah and if EVERYONE woke up to order the second it went on sale, it would have sold out and there would still be lines. They had X units available for launch regardless of how many people were ready to order as soon as it went live.

19. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Some people have to pull all kind of shenanigans to get the new phone. Exotic upgrade swaps, pay cash, or other things that can only be done in-store.

I have a friend that has some money on an Apple gift card and will pay the rest cash. He needs to go queue up.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's not hard to understand.

1. People really like their iPhones, so when there is a new version they really want that.

2. Not everyone got a 9/21 pre-order

3. Some people like the hub-bub or going to the shop

4. Many people in the tech/design sector can do flex time. Some people take a couple of hours off. I'm a work from home designer/programmer and for a couple of the launches I did half my day's work while waiting in line.

21. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow didn't realize people weren't able to get through for so long this year as most reports were that it was fairly smooth. I was in that position last year though so I understand the frustration.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Also bear in mind that people who have October pre-order dates will be waiting in line. If they get a phone now they will simply cancel their online order.

23. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

24. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

When something like this happens, do you delay your upgrade re-eligibility for a few weeks?

Like, if AT&T decides to strictly adhere to 2 year contracts, and you order an iphone on pre-order day, but can't receive it until a few weeks later, when does that 2 years start to tick? I'd be a little annoyed if 2 launches from now I was not eligible for a week because of supply and demand 2 years ago.

25. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I'm betting because some of those people are not well informed like people here on the forums and know that you can pre-order.