Can someone help me clarify if my phone is factory unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kuato, Feb 9, 2010.

1. kuato macrumors member

I bought an Iphone 3G on Craigslist last night to use on T-mobile. When I got the phone it was restored to factory settings so I took it home, plugged it into Itunes, and set it up. Upon connecting it to Itunes it said your phone is unlocked. Now, the guy who sold it to me said he originally bought it on Ebay from Australia. Does that mean its 'factory unlocked'? Everything has worked fine since I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it except MMS. Looking online for solutions I've found that people recommend downloading 'Legacy' through Cydia but my Iphone isn't Jailbroken. So I have no Cydia app. I don't necessarily want to Jailbreak but if I did could I do it from firmware 3.1.3?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if your iphone is not jailbroken and your tmobile sim works and you got that itunes message its factory unlocked.
    Can you go into General/network/cellular data network/ and then input Tmobiles MMS settings?
    Go to cellular data network> APN= epc.tmobile.com
    Then Go to MMS apn and type wap.voicestream.com
    MMSC is 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    proxy is 216.155.165.50:8080
    select return and power cycle the phone 6. Test Internet 7. Test MMS,,, it should now work.

3. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yes, if when you plugged it in, it came up with that message, then you are good to go. also with a factory unlock you can update without running into problems....why cant anybody come up with a fake factory unlock for people to use, just like apple's, where we can update without problems...because that would be great...for some people.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Its not as simple as that.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

6. kuato thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. I can enter those settings on my Iphone but MMS still does not work. Internet works but text messages with a picture prompts the message "The media content was not included due to a picture resolution or message size restriction." I'm not sure what else to do.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give these a try also:
    You should do a network settings reset before doing this to clear out any other settings you have in there.

CELLULAR DATA:
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    USER NAME : blank
    PASSWORD: blank

MMS:
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    USERNAME : blank
    PASSWORD : blank
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS PROXY : 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS MAX MESSAGE SIZE 9999999

8. kuato thread starter macrumors member

Just tried these settings and got the same message. Made sure to reset the settings as well before hand. Ah so frustrating! Thanks for the help though!!

Edit: I read in another topic that with iPhone 3G and 3.1.3 firmware... "Jailbreak? Yes. Unlock? Probably No." Since my phone is factory unlocked I should have no problem jailbreaking correct?

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

unless blackra1n came up with a solution today you cannot unlock/jailbreak if you have updated to 3.1.3

10. altonjone macrumors newbie

Connect your iPhone to your computer. Once connected double-click the BlackRa1n icon to begin the process.
    Now simply click “make it rain”. Your device will now enter recovery mode.
    Once your device reboots the jailbreak process is complete and you will see the following message on your desktop.

11. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Pwnage tool.

12. kuato thread starter macrumors member

So can I jailbreak my Iphone without worrying about losing the unlock since it is factory unlocked? I see that Pwnage Tool has an update that is supposed to work with 3.1.3

13. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

blackra1n is not a guy, its a software. geohot made blackra1n...and i dont think we will see another jailbreak from him in a looooong time.
    also if you have a 3gs, dont upgrade, because you cant jailbreak, and u cant downgrade if u upgrade either. if ur at 3.1.2 still you can use blackra1n to jailbreak. just dont find your self having to restore. btw, if every time you turn it on, it goes into recovery mode, run blackra1n on ur computer again to turn it back on...if this happens you have a tethered jailbreak.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Also I think after you enter those fields you will have to restart the iphone in order for it to pick up the changes.
    Not sure if you did but worth a try.

15. kuato thread starter macrumors member

I did reboot my iphone after every change. Not quite sure what to do next.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can call up Tmobile and have them troubleshoot it. They wont give you any hard time.
    Or JB and install the legacy package thru cydia.
    Or look for the Tmobile IPCC carrier file to install thru itunes.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, one more try. I came across this info
    T-mobile just changed there MMS settings
    They stop using voicestream.com

Cellular Data

APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Username:
    Password:

MMS

APN: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size:
    MMS UA Prof URL:

18. kuato thread starter macrumors member

Ok with these settings I lose the ability to send pics (red exclamation point appears next to picture) and I'm not receiving pictures or the typical error messages :(

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn :(
    Maybe give a call to tmobile to see if everything is provisioned right on their end also.

20. kuato thread starter macrumors member

21. kuato thread starter macrumors member

So I jailbroke with Redsn0w 0.9.3 with the 3.1.2 ipsw, then installed the Tmobile Legacy package in Cydia, which seems to just input the info we've been talking about and voila! MMS now works!!! Thanks again!

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

23. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    ^Hmm... I thought that if you got a factory unlocked iPhone, the perk was that it was simply pop in your sim and you're good to go. You had to go through jailbreaking it to use MMS?

That's pretty awesome that you got a factory unlocked iPhone off of craigslist. I don't see any in the DC Area. I'm probably going to have to buy off of ebay, but it's so expensive.

24. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

never said blackra1n was a guy....... and why do you not think he will make another jailbreak/unlock solution?