Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
ok so i tried installing hdapm but i ended up just failing and messing some things up in terminal that i had to go back and fix. can someone help me install this with some easier directions than those given with the hdapm file?

thank you

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The directions seem incredibly simple:

Installation
  • Copy hdapm to somewhere on your system - I suggest /usr/local/bin.
  • If you want to have hdapm run automatically at startup, also copy the hdapm.plist to /Library/LaunchDaemons

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
The directions seem incredibly simple:

well there is no usr/local/bin folder. i was told you have to create it. and also there are some terminal commands that im not really sure how to do. why dont you do me a favor and not post unless you have experience with this. you've posted the obvious. i clearly stated that i have read the installation instructions and still can't get it to work. but thanks anyway...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
well there is no usr/local/bin folder. i was told you have to create it. and also there are some terminal commands that im not really sure how to do. why dont you do me a favor and not post unless you have experience with this. you've posted the obvious. i clearly stated that i have read the installation instructions and still can't get it to work. but thanks anyway...

Yes, there is a /usr/local/bin folder. It's a hidden system folder.
In Finder, search for "bin", then add the criteria "System Files" > "Include"
Picture 2.jpg

Alternatively, you can show hidden files with the following Terminal commands:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder​

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, there is a /usr/local/bin folder. It's a hidden system folder.
In Finder, search for "bin", then add the criteria "System Files" > "Include"

Alternatively, you can show hidden files with the following Terminal commands:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder​

i have like 9 bin folders. is this normal? if so which one do i chose?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i have like 9 bin folders. is this normal? if so which one do i chose?

Yes, it's normal. Pick the one with the path I showed with the arrow, the same path mentioned in the installation instructions.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it's normal. Pick the one with the path I showed with the arrow, the same path mentioned in the installation instructions.

i dont see a usr/local/bin. theres a million other combinations of bin folders...

edit: the closest one i have says usr/local/clamxav/bin

clamxav is just a little virus scanner to scan music files etc..should i put it in that one?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i dont see a usr/local/bin. theres a million other combinations of bin folders...

Did you search your Macintosh HD, or a sub-folder?

Just use the Terminal commands I mentioned in my 2nd post. Then you can easily find the /usr folder under Macintosh HD.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Did you search your Macintosh HD, or a sub-folder?

Just use the Terminal commands I mentioned in my 2nd post. Then you can easily find the /usr folder under Macintosh HD.

i searched the mackintosh hd. did you see my edit?

edit: and also i did try to use the show hidden folders command before and i have more than one bin folder again. also can you delete hidden folders, because i think i accidentally did last time but im not too sure.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i searched the mackintosh hd. did you see my edit?
edit: the closest one i have says usr/local/clamxav/bin
clamxav is just a little virus scanner to scan music files etc..should i put it in that one?

No, don't put it anywhere but /usr/local/bin. That folder does exist on your Mac. It's a standard system folder. If you couldn't find hidden folders, it's extremely unlikely you could have deleted any.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
No, don't put it anywhere but /usr/local/bin. That folder does exist on your Mac. It's a standard system folder. If you couldn't find hidden folders, it's extremely unlikely you could have deleted any.

ok i found bin folder with the hidden files. it doesnt say the path though. im assuming it is the correct path thought because there is only one bin folder?

also once i install it how do i know its working?

and do you think it will help save power and keep my load/unload count down?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ok i found bin folder with the hidden files. it doesnt say the path though. im assuming it is the correct path thought because there is only one bin folder?
If you want to see the path, in Finder, click View > Show Path Bar and it will appear at the bottom of the window. Look at the red arrow at the bottom of the pic in my 2nd post in this thread.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
If you want to see the path, in Finder, click View > Show Path Bar and it will appear at the bottom of the window. Look at the red arrow at the bottom of the pic in my 2nd post in this thread.

hmm. the path is mackintosh hd-bin

no usr or local :/

what is happening here :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hmm. the path is mackintosh hd-bin

no usr or local :/

what is happening here :(

If you're having this much trouble locating the system folders to install the app, and you have so many questions about how to use the app, my personal recommendation is that you don't bother installing it. Chances are you wouldn't see any difference in performance on your system, anyway. It's not a good idea to monkey around with things on your Mac that you don't fully understand. If you do things wrong, you can easily turn your Mac into a paperweight.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
or even when i go to the usr folder then local. the only folder i have in local is clamxav. and inside clamxav is bin. i dont understand this lol..

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
If you're having this much trouble locating the system folders to install the app, and you have so many questions about how to use the app, my personal recommendation is that you don't bother installing it. Chances are you wouldn't see any difference in performance on your system, anyway. It's not a good idea to monkey around with things on your Mac that you don't fully understand. If you do things wrong, you can easily turn your Mac into a paperweight.

its not that, its just something is messed up to where my usr/local/bin folder is missing or something... read my above post. there is no bin folder in local only inside the clamxav folder inside local.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Mac OS X does not have a /usr/local/bin folder by default. If it doesn't exist, just create it from the terminal using 'mkdir'; you will probably need to use 'sudo' as well since /usr requires root write access.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Mac OS X does not have a /usr/local/bin folder by default. If it doesn't exist, just create it from the terminal using 'mkdir'; you will probably need to use 'sudo' as well since /usr requires root write access.

thank you...this other guy was making me feel like an idiot when in fact he was incorrect.

but this is where i ran into the problem last time. im not too savy with terminal commands. any step by step help in exactly what i need to do?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I haven't actually installed hdapm but this should do it. Make sure you have the hdapm disk image mounted otherwise this will fail!
Note: Anything starting with a '#' is a comment
Code:
# Wherever you see 'sudo' you are running the subsequent command as the root user.
# Be careful! As root you have full control over the system and it will not ask you if you type
#  a command wrong, it will just do it.

# Creates the directory '/usr/local/bin' and any parent directories, if needed
# This command is non-destructive
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin

#Copy hdapm from the mounted hdapm disk image to the 
# /usr/local/bin folder
sudo cp /Volumes/hdapm/hdapm /usr/local/bin/hdapm

### BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE BELOW COMMANDS ###
#Fix the permissions.
# chown changes the owners of files.
# The below commands marks the files as owned by the root user and the
#  wheel group.
sudo chown root:wheel /usr/local/bin
sudo chown root:wheel /usr/local/bin/hdapm

# chmod changes the permissions users have for a file
# The below commands makes the files readable and executable
#  to everyone while only allowing write access to the root user
#
# Permissions are specified in octal. Read = 4, Write = 2, Execute = 1
# Read, write and execute permissions: 4+2+1 = 7
# Read and execute: 4+1 = 5
# Position specifies who has what:
#  1st number: the user that owns the file (root in this case)
#  2nd number: the group that own the file (wheel in this case)
#  3rd number: everyone else
sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin
sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/hdapm

Even after installing the tool you may not be able to use it off the bat as the system may not know that the folder '/usr/local/bin' contains things that it can run. To fix this, first run the below command and look for '/usr/local/bin' in the output:
Code:
echo $PATH

If you find it, you're done. No changes are needed. If you don't see '/usr/local/bin' in the output, type:
Code:
touch ~/.bash_profile
open -a TextEdit ~/.bash_profile

Once TextEdit opens up, make sure it is in Plain Text mode and not RTF (or Real Text) mode. If TextEdit opened a blank file, just type in the below and save the file:
Code:
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:${PATH}"

If the file is NOT blank, do not change anything and post back.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
how do i mount the disk image? and do i need to do the 4+2+1 etc commands or? and thanks for helpin out. iv tried a few ways to install this and it seems like everyone gives me a different way which is why im so skeptical and asking so many questions. sorry..

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
You can mount the DMG just by double clicking it. As for the permissions stuff, all you need to do is run the chown/chmod. Any lines beginning with a '#' is a comment and simply there for informational purposes.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
You can mount the DMG just by double clicking it. As for the permissions stuff, all you need to do is run the chown/chmod. Any lines beginning with a '#' is a comment and simply there for informational purposes.
Ya that's what I thought I just wasent sure. I installed it but I'm not completely sure if it's working yet. Thank your for your patience and help thought. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.