Can someone help me make sense of the new jailbreaking environment?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theNEOone, Nov 7, 2010.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

I currently have a jailbroken (but still locked to AT&T) iP4 4.0.1. I have a custom lock screen and some paid Cydia apps (iFile, 3G unresrictor, etc. etc.). I've downloaded redsn0w and have read the guide on how to walk through the jailbreak. I'm pretty sure my SHSH blobs are saved in Cydia (although I really have no freaking clue what this means....)

Is there a way for me to retain my customizations and Cydia apps while upgrading to 4.1 and jailbreaking? (I'll be sticking to AT&T so I don't need an unlock.)

Sorry for the noob question. Thanks!

=|

2. jpetticrew, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

My information on SHSH blobs was flawed. Disregard what I said about them.

You can purchase pkgbackup (I recommend it) from Cydia and it will backup all of your Cydia apps for you, so after you re-jailbreak all you have to do is reinstall pkgbackup and restore from that and all your apps will be back!

Good luck!

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just for the record, this statement is NOT true.

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Ok, they're only necessary if you want to preserve your baseband when updating or may want to downgrade. Which is normally a want when unlocking. Sorry for the generalization.

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

You are absolutely incorrect about this.

SHSH blobs are for a lot more than just baseband preservation. You can only use them to preserve baseband with an iPhone 4.

The main purpose of shsh blobs is being able to downgrade to any firmware you have an shsh blob for regardless if apple is signing that version at the time. End of story.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is still NOT true (by far) there are many, many reasons to downgrade and use SHSH others than Unlocking

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Thats also false.

8. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Was I really absolutely incorrect? I was partially incorrect, I'll agree, but not about everything.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

You are wrong.

SHSH blobs exist primarily so you will always be able to JAILBREAK.

You're telling someone that they're inconsequential because he doesn't need to unlock. You fail to inform him that he may need them for jailbreaking to begin with (especially come 4.2).

You told someone shsh blobs don't really matter. Therefore, you are wrong.

Talk about beating a dead horse, too. Proud much?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll give you partial. You're getting there though:)

11. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info - pkgbackup worked well, except that after restoring, all of my Jailbreak apps have a white icon. This also happened to my Cydia icon when I first applied the redsn0w jailbreak, but after logging into Cydia and "updating," the icon returned to normal.....

Any ideas???

Edit: Nevermind - respring fixed it.

=|