Can someone just check I'm reading this right... Plymouth has no 3G???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I am Sampson, Jun 10, 2008.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Ok, so odd question, but my reading of this (you'll have to select HSDPA and type plymouth in) says that Plymouth has no 3G, meaning getting an iPhone 3G would be rather pointless if my main desire is fast internet, right?
    I find it shocking that such a large city isn't covered though and hard to belive this could be right, as I've no doubt the multiple o2 and carphone warehouse shops will be selling iPhone 3Gs when they come out!

Thanks.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Weird. Some places have it but only very few!

Where abouts do you live in Plymouth? i live in Plymouth as well so this could be a bummer for me also :)

3. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'm in mannamead/peverell, though I don't need it at home as it'll switch to 3g, I need it at work (in town) and when around town etc. But it seems the closest 3G gets is plymstock!
    I'm gonna check instore when I next go in as this is very odd.
    I currently have an orange phone that often has no signal at my house, so I don't want another phone with signal issues!

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No it has 3G, but no HSDPA yet. I.e. there is near blanket coverage of normal "3G" but not the faster kind - HSDPA
    It has High coverage (Video / News) dark blue in the picture
    And Normal (Voice?SMS/MMS/ Music, O2 active) at the outskirts of Plymouth (light blue)
    There is also HSDPA coverage, just click on the attached pics to see a larger view.
    I'd check with someone who has at least an O2 phone in your area, if not someone with an iPhone.
    Note the maps are from May, and also that there is more HSDPA than there was!

Attached Files:

5. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I thought they were the same thing???? What does this mean for iPhone 3G use in Plymouth then? What will we miss out on? Speed? Features?

Edit: a quick wiki search suggests this means will only get a max of 384kb/s rather than 3.6Mb/s, sound true? As thats a HUGE speed decrease.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

HSDPA is the newest and fastest iteration of a 3G network. Coverage generally is pants. If you check for normal cover in Plymouth "High - Video Calls / News" is broadly covered, I imagine this is UTMS, also 3G, just the original version which is slower. Still better than edge, just not the best. Although you're not alone in that by any stretch, HSDPA rollout has a long way to go.

edit: got called away from my desk and beaten to it!

7. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol. i think well be fine I am Sampson!

Well get through it :p

8. sneeks macrumors 6502a

According to the o2 site the area I live has no 3G coverage but full HSDPA.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

More like HSDPA is a speed increase. these maps can be based primarily on a model, not actual data by the testers with a phone, so what you see on the ground is what counts.

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol you live bloody close to me then!

I live in plymbridge woods (im not a bum) in the housing estate their!

Glad to hear theres 3G for sure then :) i thought there was cause i was on 3G on my mates N95 on 3G (it was a very bad experience)!

11. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I went into the the o2 shop today and asked to see a working 3G phone (any type) to check for sure it was here. The lady I spoke to got her own phone out, and whilst she didn't show me the internet working (wish I'd asked now) she did show me a "H" logo on her phone (I think it was a samsung) claiming that this showed that it was not only picking up 3G, but HSDPA as well. She said the o2 website was wrong and she gets HSDPA everywhere in plymouth.
    I really hope this is true, but it seems odd the o2 website would be wrong.
    Can anyone confirm that a blue "H" next to the signal bars on a phone (pretty sure its a samsung slide one) means HSDPA?
    (she also said they are selling the iPhone from 07:02 on July 11th at only the derry's cross store (prob carephone warehouse too) I doubt I can make it in till 12:45!!!! Hope they still have black and white 16Gbs left by then :confused: :( )

Google serching suggests that for many phones a H logo does indeed mean HSDPA signal, so looks good for plymouth after all... very odd that o2 site would be out of date mind so still a little dubious, but at least this along with Steve Jobs=God's comments very strongly says plymouth has 3G and pssibly even HSDPA

12. sara123456 macrumors member

I am also from plymouth we better have 3G here or there wouldn't be much point in getting an Iphone. :)

13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

So if I m understanding correctly there was no point in getting first gen iPhone in UK(or european market) coz it wasnt 3G. Now there is no point in getting second generation iPhone in UK coz its 3G. What an irony:rolleyes:

14. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

As I understand it, all the networks are avoid publishing accurate data because it gives all their competitors too much information...

15. MojoWill macrumors 6502

seems plymouth has good 3G signal which will give you 384Kpbs speed wise were as HSDPA gives 1.8Mpbs however it is only major cities in the UK that will get FULL HSDPA 3G will be fine don't panic.

16. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Aye, seems likely, but if thats the case, what did the blue "H" logo next to the signal bars on this phone I saw mean? Googling suggests it means HSDPA, which is also what the o2 store rep said, but not what the website says.
    Ah well, either way I'll get the iPhone 3G, its only if there were no 3G at all that I'd forget it.