Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 144

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
No, I don't think that's the right RAM for your machine. Registered server memory (ECC) is from what I know not compatible. Only the ones with dual cores can handle them and the first one of those came in late '05.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I believe non-Late-2005 PowerMac G5's can take ECC memory, it just won't be used as ECC memory.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I believe non-Late-2005 PowerMac G5's can take ECC memory, it just won't be used as ECC memory.

I see. What are the advantages of 'ECC', and what would be the disadvantage of not having such?

Thanks for the replies by the way!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
ECC ram is Error-Correcting Code memory. It will basically go back and double check that the correct values are set in the ram. This doesn't really do much for end users unless they work in an area that has lots of radiation or cosmic rays that can flip the bits in ram and could possibly cause very precise calculations to be inaccurate. It can be slower then non-ECC ram because of this checking.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
ECC ram is Error-Correcting Code memory. It will basically go back and double check that the correct values are set in the ram. This doesn't really do much for end users unless they work in an area that has lots of radiation or cosmic rays that can flip the bits in ram and could possibly cause very precise calculations to be inaccurate. It can be slower then non-ECC ram because of this checking.

Thanks for that info! Learn something every day...

Well then, if it isn't too much trouble, could you direct me to the correct RAM for this Late '04 PMG5? I'd like to pay anywhere from $20-35 for the full 4GB (4x1GB).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.