Can someone please tell me what this is on my macbook pro display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howareyoukk, Apr 9, 2015.

1. howareyoukk macrumors regular

Hi all :)

View attachment 539431

As the picture shown above, i have an antiglare macbook pro 15 inch 2012 model. And recently I found this green dead pixels look like thing on the top right hand corner of the display. It gets obvious on a grey colour background. However, when I hover my mouse cursor on them, the cursor looks normal and doesnt look like it gets affected by the green dead pixels. So i would assume the internal display is not broken right? I am more leaning towards the theory that the antiglare coating is somehow scratched. But then again I handle my macbook pro with care. Maybe its a bit dusty but I never used anything sharp to scratch my screen..

Any other theories or solutions from you guys in terms of how to fix it without throwing money to the apple store? I still plan on using the antiglare macbook pro for years because i hate the glare on the new retina macbook pro.

2. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

3. Android300zx macrumors regular

Take it to Apple and if you have Apple Care they will replace the screen for you. Hardware defect. I had a Macbook Air I bought from CL that had the same issue but less drastic (little dots). They replaced it. Cost of repair was about $400 (not cost to me though). Thankfully I had Apple Care.

Also, so they can see it better change your wallpaper to a white one or have an application open that has a white background.

4. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply :) Its good to know that i am not the only one having this issue. However, I am living in a small mining town right now where the closest apple store is 6 hours away by car and i dont know when I will be able to go there. The worst thing is that I dont have an apple care and the one year warranty was expired last year( I have confidence in apple and thought nothing would happen to my mac if i handled it with care). However, my macbook pro was a refurbished product from apple. Do you reckon that apple will fix the screen for me at a minimal to no cost based on that fact?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't count on it. I reckon that had you purchased AppleCare, they would fix it for free. As it stands now I would recommend you prepare yourself for the expense of having it fixed. Expecting anything else will inevitably lead to hurt feelings and dissappointment.

6. Android300zx macrumors regular

7. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

hey thanks for your reply :)

So what options do i have here? last time i heard it cost my friend almost 1000 AUD to replace the screen on a non retina macbook pro without any apple care. Lets say if the cost is 500+ AUD, should I fix it or find an alternative way? a new retina macbook pro perhaps? but then again i hate the glare on the glossy displays..

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's a very personal decision that depends on your finances and your priorities. Fixing it will cost less than buying a new one. Me, personally, would rather buy a new one. But that's me.

You can always put a non-glare screen protector on a new model if the glare bothers you too much, and sell your old one to help cover some of the costs.

Or you can spend the money and fix your laptop and try to get a few more years out of it.

Decisions, decisions....