can someone plz reccomend me a reliable firewire 800 (w/usb ports) external harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Apr 14, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

topic says it all really.

i need maximum space and i want to have it on 24/7 really.

every ext hd i look at has really bad reviews.

also if an enclosure + harddrive is better than an ext harddrive, can someone plz reccomend me an enclosure?

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have one of these, with a 500GB 7,200 Seagate installed, very professional unit, built to last, runs cool and is quiet. Bus powered too. A little exxpensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

When you have a drive that has both firewire and usb, you can only use one interface at a time.

4. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

any UK links or other drives?

cant find that drive in the UK :'(

5. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Check out Verbatim. Either the SureFire or the Store 'n' go. My Surefire uses a WD drive inside. Has been on pretty much 24/7 for the past year and a half and not a problem.

6. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The ones I posted go up to 750GB or 3TB.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

After going through several Western Digital Mybooks giving me various headaches I upped the ante and have bought this ... it has Firewire 800 / USB 2.0 / eSata. I have the 2TB variant.

Been running it on FW800 from day one, it is used as an external boot drive for my iMac.

http://g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

[​IMG]

9. SilverOnemi, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

SilverOnemi macrumors member

G tech drives go very well with mac products, if performance is your thing then you should try this :

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

if you want something portable for you to carry along i'd get the g-drive mini.

they're available for purchase from apple's website, but you can probably get them from some place else, i believe the drives inside these casings are hitachi, you might want to confirm this tho.

i currently own a g-drive mini for around a month, and it hasn't given me any trouble, however i must say it does get warm during heavy use, but i suspect it'd be the same if the drive was inside my mbp, the aluminum casing seems identical to the mbp and i suppose it helps dissipate the heat.

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Well I showed you the small personal ones. They do have the bigger desktop ones that do go up to 1TB.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

OWC all the way. The option of getting FW800, and USB AND eSATA is actually a very useful feature, especially if you work with Windows PCs

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am in the Uk and bought the OWC elite al pro enclosure and other goodies from the US. Shipping costs a bit and you pay the customs once it arrives but it arrived quickly and without hassles. Alternatively take a look at the hitachi g-drive mini with fw800. You can get it via amazon.co.uk

13. aoaaron, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks man. problems with me buying from the US is if i need to get warantee/repairs. i imagine it would be a nightmare.

alsio guys sry not to mention this but i dont want it to be powered externally cos i'll be moving around a lot.

so g-drive vs. hitachi vs. verbatim atm.

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm surprised no one has recommended Lacie. Their reputation far exceeds most other manufacturers and their quality / longevity is top notch. I have had a Lacie Big Disk Extreme raid 0 FW 800 for 4 years now that still performs just as good as day one.

Raid 0 on FW 800 is a real screamer compared to USB 2.0

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10033

15. Macmel macrumors 6502

I am surprised too. I have a relatively old Lacie (3 years old, 500 Gb FW800, USB 2.0) that works perfectly. I would get another one if I needed it with no coubt. I also have an iomega, 5 years old, and it works also perfectly, although it is only USB if I remember properly.

16. Locodice macrumors regular

My Passport has never failed me. Also matches the macbook pro in looks.

[​IMG]

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

18. Berknip macrumors member

I have one OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro, one OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Mini, 5 OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pros (2 were just enclosures that I added drives I already had), and one Guardian Maximus.

They are all rock solid.

[​IMG]

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the OEM version (unbranded) of the G-tech drive and I have the OWC Mercury drive (the clear plastic one); both I've owned for 4-5 years and they still work very well. I've replaced the drives in them scores of times with no issues.