Can someone recommend a good, free app to copy music from iPhone to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobT, Jan 30, 2009.

1. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Can someone recommend a good, free app to copy music from iPhone to Mac?

2. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Aside from pirating music, why would you need to do that?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Senuti worked for me too to go from iPod to Mac.

5. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Perhaps his old laptop was stolen which contained all of his music and now he wants to transfer the music from his phone to his new mac.

More importantly, why is it any of your business? How are you contributing to this thread?

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

That's a huge assumption. There are lots of legitimate reasons.

7. jaxonkohne macrumors member

I am in the midst of using iPod Access... its working wonders... it isn not free tho it works for ipod ipod touch and iphone i do believe

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

You can't pirate music using Senuti. YOu still have to authorize that MAC that you download the music to. All you can authorize is 5 computers.

9. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Maybe his Mac harddrive broke. Or he accidentally deleted some music from his Mac and wants to restore it now.

OP: At the moment I don't know a free one that does it for the iPhone. Time ago I used free programms for that: Senuti (when it was free), Yamipod, Ipod Disk. etc. But I think all those (except Senuti which now cost's money) aren't supporting the iPhone. Correct me if I am wrong, I just couldn't try it because I don't have an iPhone yet and a quick search through their websites didn't reveal anything.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try MacFuse and iPodDisk. You need to install MacFuse, then run iPodDisk. It supports the iPod touch (I've used it), so I'm pretty sure it also works on the iPhone. In fact, I think I've used it with an iPhone. Works perfectly.

jW

11. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Senuti has a free 1000 song trial, just used it last week.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Awwww .... WTF? It used to be free ...

13. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I know they started charging for it just a few weeks ago I think. I wanted to update my old version and also was WTF? It was free when I started to use it (but it hadn't iPhone/Touch support back then. Reviews aren't that good anymore, people say it's good some flaws and surely isn't worth 18$.

OK, when you say it does support the iPod Touch and therefore also (should) the iPhone, then I would try that. You have to install two apps, but that's not really a drawback when it's still free.

Thanks Mal for posting.

It seems that Yamipod (Open source I think still doesn't support the iPhone.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, it's two apps, but the first (MacFuse) has a lot of other uses as well, so some people might have already installed it. It allows you to read and write to other filesystems, most commonly to use NTFS drives on the Mac.

jW

15. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Closing the barn door after the pigs escape

Probably not useful to the OP (Original Poster for those of you new here, took me a little while) but I recently discovered iTunes' built-in ability to back up your entire library to DVD.

File > Library > Back up to Disc...

Seems like a good idea once you get those files onto your computer.

16. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I know that already, I've already had the files installed, but never actually tried them. And I don't have an iPhone, so I weren't able to test it.
    I just wanted to highlight it again, so that no one says iPod disk is not working or whatever (without reading the text properly)

I think iTunes had that long time ago..bud I don't see how it's easier/better to burn everything onto a DVD instead of copying it to another (external) harddrive. The point is that people actually have to do a backup (in the end id doesn't really matter how, just do it from time to time!)
    For my collection I would need too many DVD's so it's easier to copy it to an external and selfburnt DVD's don't last too many years. I have backups from years ago (on CD back then) and some of them you can't read anymore after just 3-5 years.

But thanks anyway!

17. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Wrong answer. iTunes only lets you do that with files that you bought from the iTunes store. It doesn't work with self-created mp3 files.

18. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Let's see... Maybe you want to use your iPod/iPhone as a backup device for your music and videos, and then you buy a new computer and discover that Apple's DRM-bastion called iTunes does not allow you to copy your legal, DRM-free mp3-files from your iPhone/iPod to your computer?

The unwillingness of Apple to provide this basic feature is my #1 reason to never again buy an iPod.