Can someone recommend a protector for both back & front of the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Sep 22, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

First time buying a screen protector.

I heard the back is easily scratched so I want to make sure it's brand new from start to finish!

2. Abandoned macrumors newbie

Hey, I just bought the Invisible Shield from ZAGG. If you order it through their website you can get the package with the front and back screen protecter. I went to future shop and they only sell the protector for the front and I'm getting the white iPhone 5 anyways so I don't really care as much about the back as it won't be easily noticed if scratched. Apparently the shield is also used for helicopter blades to keep them from being damaged. I hope this helped.

3. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?? Weird they don't sell it in stores.

OK thanks!

4. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I just want to chime in and completely, 100% want to warn against Zagg's Invisible Shield.

It's not like other dry screen protectors that feel natural. The Invisible Shield feels grippy and doesn't feel good to use your phone with. On top of that, bubbles formulate everywhere while I can stick on a Power Support perfectly without any imperfections. Dust lives at the edges of the Invisible Shield the minute you put it in your pocket. It's a nightmare and frankly a waste of $30. I couldn't even stand half a day with it. Considered it $30 wasted and tossed it in the trash where it belongs.

5. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what do you use then?

6. albertxp06 macrumors regular

I've ordered a Skinomi screen protector from Amazon. I've used their protectors on my iPhone 4 and Nexus 7. Applying the screen protector is a little tricky, but it works extremely well and protects it from scratches. It also "heals itself" from minor scratches.

7. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i was under the impression that because the back of the iphone 5 isnt smooth, screen protectors wont adhere.

8. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I used Power Support's anti-glare HD protector for my 4s and that's all I used for it. It was great. This time I decided to order SGP's Ultra Oleophobic protector to decrease fingerprints and at the same time keep the crisp vibrant colors of the display. Not sure what I'm going to do about the back. I'd like protection for it for sure though, but if I can't find anything good then I'll deal. From what I've experienced myself and what I've heard, Power Support and SGP are probably your best bets.

I'm hoping my SGP protector comes in quickly as I have been handling my 5 like a baby and am tired of being super careful.

9. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I Love zagg. There original does have an orange peel feel and look to it but I love it. They also have HD, smudge proof, and shatter resistant skins.

HD is the best if you just want a clear nice protector. I prefer original though.

I paid $15 for the front only at target. I want to get a back but no stores sell them cause zagg is in short supply. You can get full coverage original on zagg.com for $24.99.

They have lifetime warranty/replacements and I've never had any problems with them. Great customer service

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I thought too.
    Im sure the front will be fine on the glass but the back not sure if it will stick right and stay there.

11. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Do yourself a favor and listen to someone who has been doing this since iPhone 1 and has installed more screen protectors for friends and family then most store associates.

Wait and pay up for the Power Support product, personally I like the crystal one for iPhone and I have anti glare on the iPad.

Zagg stinks. Has a very plastic and fake feel to it. Invisashield is crap and the .99 cents you spend for one on eBay is better spend at the dollar menu.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I use the regular Zagg on the back because the stickiness is good for grip when I lay my iPhone on my fingers. I wouldn't use the same for the front so I went with Zagg HD on the front. I get 50% FAN discount so the cost isn't much. AT&T also installs at no charge.

13. Rumo macrumors newbie

Bestskinsever. Super cheap and like zagg. If you're ok with making your own solution/using a credit card to smooth it out (I cover a cc with a glasses cleaning cloth), it's great

14. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

I use Invisible Shield. Get the HD one if you don't like the sticky feel of the military or original one. I have the HD one on my iPhone 5 and I can't even notice that's on. Looks great and is smooth.

Also, I'd recommend paying the extra to have it installed unless you truly do know how to do it. A good installer will be able to get the shield on there without any air bubbles or other imperfections. I paid $8 extra to have mine installed and no regrets; painless process for me and it looks excellent.

15. Built macrumors 68020

I've had Power Support on every iPhone (I've had the original...3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and now 5...also on each of my iPod Touches and my 3 iPads....The BEST!

I hope they come out with the Crystal Film for the 5 soon...I'll be taking a drive up to their retail store to have them install it as usual...Great product and great store.

16. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

The Zagg turns yellow after time as well, I hate it. In the past I used the ones apple sells and they have been pretty good.(we're those power support?) this time I got the Verizon ones for now and will see of I like them.

17. mlw4411 macrumors member

18. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

This. I've been using power support on all my iPhones since the original iphone in 2007, they last long and are of great quality. I would recommend the crystal version instead of the anti glare.

19. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

+1 I picked up an HD and paid the $8 installation. I didn't realize they were applied wet until I watched them instal it.

I wonder if other screen protectors can be installed this way? I can never get the ones applied dry on straight or without at least one dust particle.