Can someone replicate the antenna problem on a 3G/3GS/other phone with one finger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phokus, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Phokus macrumors regular

On the iphone 4, you can destroy the signal just by putting one finger in that one spot. We're not even talking about 'death grips' here. Why i don't buy steve's explanation is that i have NEVER seen a situation where you can drop a signal so greatly with just a finger touch.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's irrelevant as I never hold my phone like that.

3. Phokus thread starter macrumors regular

It's not irrelevant, because the more skin contact and pressure you put on a phone, the more signal degradation you'll get. If merely lightly touching an iphone 4 causes that problem, then it's a terrible design. Also, it goes against Steve's BS argument that it's all the same problem on all phones.

4. solarein macrumors regular

God forbid if you become an architect and have to design a building. You wouldn't put in any bathrooms for your opposite sex and when they ask you, you'll say "that's irrelevant because I never use my bathroom like that."

5. eckseid macrumors newbie

Oh really? What about the picture of the guy holding one of the other phones in Jobs presentation where his thumb was red due to holding it so tightly? Do you hold your phone like that as well?

Blind fanboy's, I love them.

6. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Okay, here's some testing for you.

iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G

All on Rogers wireless.

iPhone 4 - Death grip and slightly touching the black bar does NOT drop my bars.

iPhone 3GS - Death grip and cupping the back of the phone completely at the bottom does not effect signal bars.

iPhone 3G - Death grip and cupping the back of the phone completely at the bottom does not effect signal bars.

7. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Have to say that I was testing this out on a couple of peoples phones who were laughing at me over the signal degredation with the so called death grip. Couple of older phones mind but each time i grip the phone in my hand they lost between 3-4 bars each time. Yes, ok i cant do it with a single finger but I never hold my phone with a single finger anyway.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Some years back merchants offered a discount for cash. Some of the savings from not paying the credit card company for the transaction was being given to the consumer. You would think people would like this. Unfortunately they hated it. Unfair! Unfair! The problem was solved by charging everybody the higher price.

Yes, it is easier to degrade the signal on the iPhone4 by bridging the gap. But if you don't, many expects and users agree, reception is stronger and you get a bigger battery to boot.

I don't see what is so hard about not bridging the gap or using a case. Nevertheless, if people refuse to do this the solution will be phone designs with a predegraded, and thus undetectable, drop in reception.

9. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Some folks will never admit their beloved iPhone 4 has an issue and there is no point in arguing with them, they'll only admit the iPhone 4 antenna was a flawed design a year from now when they have an iPhone 5 to embrace.

But they'll certainly be pissed off if Apple slips in a fix in October that makes the original antenna into a bastard child.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't be pedantic. I wouldn't say womens' bathrooms are irrelevant. I would say that placing the commode upside down is irrelevant as I never use the bathroom like that.

My BB doesn't do it no matter how weak the signal so SJ is fudging the truth.

I returned my 4. Fanboy accusation fail.

I did not want to ugly up my phone with a rubber band therefore it was very easy to bridge the gap when holding it in my left hand. Switching hands is not an option while surfing and choking up on the phone was not comfortable. Playing racing games made it easy to bridge the gap with meant that calls would not come through.

Why? Their phones obviously work or they would have returned them.

One finger is irrelevant. For the sake of argument, if holding it in my left hand didn't place any pressure on the point where one one finger can kill it then yes, touching it with one finger is irrelevant. What is relevant is holding it in a manner that is natural, that is what should be discussed and not one finger.

11. broncopde macrumors 6502

How many bars do you have on them, and what OS are they running, 3.1.3, 4.0, or 4.0.1?

12. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

4.0.1 and 4/5 bars across the board.

13. acurafan macrumors 6502a

that's why you'd know not to waste 9+ hrs (or pitch tent for a week+) of your life to be their beta tester, lab rat, etc. just to be the first to have one.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the difference is, it is physically impossible to use your phone with 1 finger

somewhere around 50% of the people entering the building, however, will use their bathroom like that

15. eckseid macrumors newbie

You won't accept someone's finger accidentally sliding down over the gap during a phone call, but you'll accept a slide show from Steve Jobs. One of those pictures shows a guy holding the phone so tight, his thumb was RED. Who holds a phone like that?

What about people playing a game on the phone and puts a finger over that spot and no calls come through?

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We tested three iPhone 4s* yesterday in various locations.

Week 26 (4.0.1) went 3 Bars on 3G to No Service
    Week 28 (4.0.1) went 3 Bars on 3G to 1 Bar on Edge
    Week 26 (4.0.0) went 4 Bars on 3G to 1 Bar on 3G

17. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Some folks just can't stop complaining.
    For the love of god man return your phone. Go away and leave us alone!