Can someone simply explain this to me..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I am posting this question here in the hopes I can get a quick answer.

Just had Fios installed at my home today. I was a work but ran home to make sure all was going smoothly.

When I got there he brings me into my office and shows me my old Vonage router & Comcast modem aned says here is all the stuff you no longer need. Then he points to my AirPort Extreme sitting on my desk and says "I didn't know what that was, so I just disconnected it and set up the Fios Router..And all is working fine." I looked at him and said, "Are you kidding me...What do you mean you just disconnected it and all is good?!?". He just looked at me and didn't have an answer.

Anyway, I tied it all back in and it wasn't working. There was an error on Base Station so I went into the AP utility and it said "Double NAT..If you are trying to connect this to another Broadband unit, go into settings and disable NAT and use a Bridge conntection." So that's what I did and everything began working properly. I still have 2 separate wireless networks (AP & Fios) and everything seems normal.

My question is..What exactly did I do by changing it to "Bridge". I am not network savy AT ALL, so if anyone has a simple explanation I would most appreciate it. And is there anything else I should do given the set-up.

Thanks in advance! And my apologies for posting here.

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

With FIOS they install a router (wired and wireless), not a plain modem. So you don't need a separate wireless router though you can connect one (as you already have) as a bridge.

You can find your FIOS router's SSID and password on the bottom (or the side) of the router they installed.

http://blog.yagelski.com/2010/03/verizon-fios-and-apple-airport-extreme.html

Keep in mind that if you ever need any troubleshooting with your Verizon router, they will want you to be connected directly to it rather than another router.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think I'm right in saying that you can use your Verizon combo as a modem ONLY, thus using your AE as was before they installed your optical connection. But as posted above, if you do have issues Verizon would require you to be connected to their equipment.

I have VM (Virgin Media) here in the UK. The pile of garbage they call a router / modem is all flashing blue lights and has a range of about 10 feet.

When the engineers came to install the cable, I told them to test the connection, and leave the rest to me.

I disabled the router side of the netgear tower thingy, and connected it to my (then) Draytek gigabit router.....I've since changed over to a TC but same thing applies.

4. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for!!