iPad mini Can someone tell me 5 reasons why the iPad is better than the MacBook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Well in those 5 areas but I do know it is not powerful but I want to know the advantages over it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether or not an iPad is better than a MacBook really depends on what you intend to use it for. For some people, it's not better at all.

It is less expensive and more portable and runs iOS apps (which may not have OS X equivalents), but there aren't 5 definitive reasons that would apply to all people. You just have to decide what you need from a computing device, then assess whether the iPad meets your needs. I've found that my iPad Mini replaces about 90% of my need for a computer, but there are still things I need a computer for, that the iPad can't do. YMMV

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I can't speak for everyone, but I have a few reasons why it suits MY needs better than a Macbook:

1. LTE capability
    2. Portability (I realize it is not much different, but it still factors in)
    3. Battery life
    4. No need for OSX on the go, I have a Mac Mini for that.
    5. No additional bag or case required (again, this is not a huge factor as people can also carry their Macbook in hand like I do with my iPad).

----------

This is the case for me with my Air. For that other 10% I have a Mac Mini at home.

----------

Are you asking because you are trying to decide between the two?

If so, it would be helpful to know what your needs are in a device.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

For me, the cost was probably the biggest factor. I considered an MBA because they are so light and have terrific battery performance. Then, I spec'd one out with the correct hardware that one would want and I could almost buy three iPads for the same price. Screw that.

6. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

For me, the advantages (in no particular order) of an iPad are:

1. Cost (entry level ipad about 50% entry level macbook)
    2. Portability (light wieght and thin)
    3. Ease of use for routine tasks (apps and OS optimized for touch and mobility)
    4. Retina display (great for reading, photos, and video)
    5. Long battery life

There are disadvantages as well. If you do a significant amount of content creation when mobile or away from your office, then an ipad is probably not the right choice. However, many people find they can be productive and do light content creation on their tablet and save the heavy lifting for their desktop back at home or office. This approach works fine for me. YMMV.

7. Wando64 macrumors 6502

1. OS management and data backup are a doddle. I can reinstall the OS and restore all my data in minutes.
    2. Apps are powerful, yet cheap. (Specifically music production apps)
    3. I can (more) comfortably use it in the toilet, in bed, on public transport.
    4. It weights nothing and it's tiny compared to any laptop.
    5. It's completely silent.

Under (almost) any other aspect a MBP is better than an iPad.

8. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

not always better but its better in certain ways

1. better for reading magazines due to the screen
    2. better for watching tv on plex
    3. better for playing with on a plane, where sometimes seat pitch is tight
    4. quicker to look up something on internet
    5. easier to use in bed

9. eggersj, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014

eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Here's five:

Lighter
    Better screen (than MBA)
    Accelerometer
    Better reader
    Battery battery battery

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Your lieing to yourself by posting this here.

Here's 5 reasons why its not better to balance it out :D

- No file system
    - No laptop replacement (productivity; essays, reports, video, audio work)
    - No USB etc ports
    - Screen real estate
    - Multitasking

11. kathyricks macrumors 6502

1) Better for casual web browsing, especially in bed, but much worse for writing lengthly emails.

2) Far less expensive way to enjoy a retina display.

3) Optional Cellular internet connectivity.

4) Inherently more rugged; i.e. no worry about using it in a slightly dusty environment which would plug up a Macbook's internal heat ventilation ducts and fan. No worry about spilling liquid on the keyboard.

5) Applecare that's not only far less expensive ($99 vs $249) but also covers accidental drops.

For practically all other uses the Retina Macbook is superior because you have a clickable trackpad, OS X and fully functional apps instead of watered down apps.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

They are tools with different functions. Personally I don't need either. I use an iMac and n iPad 2 and an iPhone. They all do different jobs for me depending on where I am. Is one better than the other? No they are just different tools.

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I actually have a hard time in bed with the thing because there's no way to rest it down and still be able to read it. With a laptop you can put it down on your legs and the screen sticks up vertically. Tablet lies flat. Can't see the screen.

----------

This is pretty much it. They serve different purposes. If you need a laptop, use a laptop. If you need a tablet, use a tablet.

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

They complement each other end of story

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't really see them as comparable and cannot, myself, give reasons why one is "better" than the other.

They're really meant to be two different things. A laptop is a full on portable computer meant for serious work (gameplay), typing, A/V editing and a plethora of other things.

A tablet is an ultra lightweight computer meant for easier, less intensive tasks, and provide for the best portability of a computer-type product.

One needs to determine for themselves which device, or if both, meet their needs, wants and fulfills their preferences.

16. warvanov macrumors 6502a

To oversimplify, the iPad is better for consuming content and the MacBook is better for creating it. It's basically a matter of what your needs are and what you'll be using it for.

17. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

It's like comparing a bike to a car. While they're both used for traveling the experience is completely different.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

1) has an "i" in it
    2)not every college student has one
    3) is a better Frisbee
    4) doesn't look dumb with a case on it
    5) apple logo isn't lit up

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Five is better than only three yet seven would border on the absurd.

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The most comparable Mac on the market is the MacBook Air 11". And below is what an iPad Air is better than it:

High PPI screen with 99% color gamut
    Portability
    LTE connection
    Apps
    Battery Life

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Better is always subjective. You need to define the criteria and parameters for comparison. Two people with different requirements could reach entirely different conclusions on which is better.

You might as well ask if a screwdriver is better than a wrench. No list is going to matter to the person who needs to drive a screw.

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Wanna bet all of these "five reasons" lists end up on "someone's" blog? :rolleyes:

23. kathyricks, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

kathyricks macrumors 6502

With the iPad Air or Mini you can fully lay down in a more relaxed way with the Pad resting vertically on your chest. And you can navigate the Web effortlessly and elegantly via hand gestures alone. With a laptop I would think it would be awkward trying to use the track pad while laying down.

24. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Laptops are purely meant for tables/desks. They just felt really awkward and cumbersome when I used to use mine in bed. You will have to worry about not covering up the vents etc, which is not an issue on ipad. Ipad i always throw down on my bed, try doing that with a laptop.