Can someone who uses the extra phantom line upgrade strategy explain how it works??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Sep 9, 2012.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I sold my 32 GB iphone 4s for $550 and am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to buy the iphone 5. So if I start a second line and use the full subsidy to buy the iPhone 5 how would you get it switched to the # I use now. Can I just order the new nano sim for the number I have now and them switch the sim cards. If so then I will have one line with my old data package and one with my new data package or if I go this route will I have to switch to the new mobile share and loose my unlimited data package. ANy advice from someone who does this would be appreciated. Thanks

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I'm going to be doing the same. I believe you just call and they can switch the nano sim to your existing line. to drop the data plan you will most likely need a $10 dumb gophone to put on the line negating the data plan.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm confused. I've never heard of "phantom line upgrade". Seems like a pain in the rear. Is all this done in order to deceive the carrier & save money?

Do you really believe you can outsmart the carrier?

Curious minds want to know :)

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

It means theyre adding another line to their account to get the subsidy. They will then put that sim in a cheap phone and pay the $10 (on att) a month extra. and have 2 lines on their account.

They aren't trying to out smart anyone, simply adding a line.

5. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I'm an AT&T sales rep (for the next 12 days anyway) and we do it all the time. Trying to do everything over the phone can be a real PITA, but it will work. The best bet is once you get the new phone just take it into the store, get the new line activated, move the phone with a new SIM to your existing line, and then get a new SIM for the "dummy line" and change the IMEI to all 1's or all 9's in order to remove the data plan.

6. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. When I add the second line will i have to switch to a family plan or will it stay as 2 separate lines. If I do have to change to a family plan willI lose my unlimited data on my existing line and have to pick a mobile share plan. When I get he dumb phone to put the new line sim into and drop the data plan that phone will only cost $10 for voice only. Where does the line get the minutes from. Is it then shared with my existing lines plan. Thanks for the help. Still not sure I am going to do this though. I may wait and just buy a new iPhone 5 off of ebay and that will preserve my upgrade for may. Which i can then sell to make my money back on buying the phone off of ebay.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if you don't already have a family plan you have to switch to a family plan. the new line will share minutes from the same plan as your phone.

8. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

If you only have one line now then you will need to switch to a family plan (you do not have to do shared data). Otherwise, your second line will cost you a minimum of $40 for 450 minutes instead of just $10 for a second line. You will NOT lose your unlimited data plan. The cheapest family plan is $59.99 for two lines sharing 550 minutes. You can keep unlimited texting on just your line for $20 but you will NOT have unlimited mobile to any mobile like the 450 minute plans have when you also have unlimited texting. So you will have unlimited calling within AT&T but the 550 minutes will have to cover ALL of your other calls, except for nights and weekends of course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

9. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. A couple of other things. I still have an old $5 for 200 texts plan. Since most of my texting is done over iMessage this has been enough for me. Will I be able to keep that. Also will I keep my rollover minutes. I don't use that many min so I think 550 will be enough but i would like to keep my roll over minutes just in case. Really want to thank you for the help. this is looking like it might be a good option for me.

10. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Yes, you should be able to keep the $5 texting plan. I've seen a few instances where it was not allowed, but this usually had to do with FAN discount restrictions. As far as rollover, you should be allowed to keep some but not all. Usually a couple thousand is about it.

11. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have a 21% Fan discount would that also be OK. Do these number look right $60 for voice, $30 for data, $5 for texts, (if I don't have to switch) , $10 for extra line. That's $105 month - 21% Fan Discount. That's $83 a month. That would be $15 a month over what i am paying now. So that's an extra $180 a year which would save me about $70 a year over just paying the $250 early upgrade fee and if I can't keep the $5 texting plan then its $50 more a year I don't know its starting to look like alot of effort to save $70 a year (Maybe). Am I missing something?

12. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

The $60 is for both lines. $50 for the first line, $9.99 for each additional with a 3 line limit. I can't tell you about the FAN. It's potentially different for each and every company based on the contract for that specific company. It's basically $20 more per month before taxes or your discount.

You'll just have to decide which way works out better for you.

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

My FAN only applies to the $50 for the first phone on the family plan. As previous poster said though, it seems FAN discounts vary in how they are applied.

14. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

For those who have the unlimited text plan like myself, what other options do we have?

15. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You can have unlimited text on 1 line on the Family plan. It's $20/mo.

16. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I have that now on my single line plan. What other texting plans does AT&T have these days?

17. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

$20 per line, or $30 for all phones on a family plan. That's it. After iMessages came out, I dropped them all and did pay per use. I never paid more than $5 a month.

18. CoriG macrumors 6502

What to do?

I am in the same boat as many of you. I have the 4s on At&T and want to get the new iphone. Right now, I am trying to decide between

1) the phantom line (which will run me about $10 per month and take me off unlimited minutes - which seems a bit scary). Plus I wont have the option to change my plan later to a tiered plan and tether my ipad and do facetime.

2) buy the phone outright which will cost me $200 upfront but will be off contract in a year and can do whatever I want then

3) pay the $250 now and be stuck in the exact same situation next year.

I am curious what other people are doing:

19. bigcat macrumors 6502

How exactly do you that? Is it possible to have the "dummy line" on a very old iphone I have (3GS) and not have a data plan associated with it? I don't need data there but would like to use an iphone anyway.

20. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by #1. Why wouldn't you be able to switch to a tiered plan and tether your iPad?

----------

We (the sales reps) change the IMEI in the system so that it looks like a basic phone. It'll take all 1's or 9's in place of a true IMEI. No, there's no way to use the additional line on ANY smart phone without a data plan. The network scans the devices used and if it detects a smart phone it will automatically add the $30/3GB data plan to your account.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

So basically, if you go the dummy phone route, you can't use that line with any smartphone without having a data plan. So the only real way to benefit is if your not going to use that line at all. Or, if you do, you just can't use a smartphone. Even though you changed the IMEI. Right?

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Are business accounts handled differently? Several people at my office bought used iPhones and stuck their basic phone (company phones) sim in iPhones. They work for phone and text, but no data except wifi.

23. CoriG macrumors 6502

24. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Right.

----------

This is the first I've of this. There should not be any difference.

----------

25. CoriG macrumors 6502

I am sorry - you are right. I meant 1400 minutes.

But I still won't be able change to a mobile share plan (to tether and facetime) if I chose to do so in the future.