All iPads Can someone with a Wifi iPad tethered to an IP5 hotspot confirm something for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dstedman, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dstedman macrumors member

Hi- can someone with a Wifi iPad tethered to an IP5 hotspot confirm that the iPad is getting accurate GPS information from the IP5? I've read conflicting information on this and if I buy a new iPad I'd like to know I could use it for accurate lake map readings via Navionics on the iPad.

thanks!
    dan

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I had my wifi air hot spotted to a 5s yesterday while driving, and the blue dot seemed to be moving along where i was. That was in Apple maps. This is my first wifi only iPad and was not sure how it would go.
    Is the difference for dedicated GPS Apps?

3. dstedman thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if there would be a difference - probably not?

4. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

I bought a Bad Eld GPS unit due to the fact the blue dot would sometimes be all over. I would not trust it.

5. dstedman thread starter macrumors member

The Bad Elf GPS is a nice option, though was hoping to go dongle-free. Hmmm...

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Wow, I was just thinking this about this exact thread while pondering which iPad Mini to get (wifi vs lte).

I do use the Tom Tom app on my current mini (att LTE), but infrequently. And then wondered if the hotspot from my phone provides the GPS data to a device that uses the hotspot network.

It appears that it does... :)

7. OCJeff, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

OCJeff macrumors regular

Mine seemed very accurate, but I don't have a compass app on my Air to confirm how accurate.

8. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

None of my iPhones (I've owned many up to iPhone 5) have shared a GPS signal with any of my iPads. When I have the iPad tethered to the iPhone, it will appear to be sharing the GPS signal when I am in town, but it is in fact using wifi hotspots to find my location.

I have tested this when on longer drives outside the city. Maps app on iPad loses my location while it continues to be accurate on my iPhone 5.

Unless they have changed something in the more recent models (5c / 5s), this does not work.

9. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

10. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Why can't you just use GPS right on your iPhone 5? Is the bigger screen really that much more useful in a turn by turn navagation setting? if so, why hasn't garmin released a 10" GPS unit?

11. dstedman thread starter macrumors member

The bigger screen is nice for navigating 1-ft contour lines on lakes while looking for "the spot on the spot" for fishing. Otherwise you are right - my iPhone is fine.

12. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I just tried it. Apple Maps on my new Retina Mini (Wifi only) tethered to my iPhone 5 was able to pinpoint my location instantly and exactly, even though I'm inside my office building. Nice.

Haven't tried it while moving yet.

13. onlineaddy macrumors member

That costs $130. Why wouldn't you just use that same money to get an LTE iPad?

14. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Bad Elf has many more options. I can tether unlimited with my phone.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Mine does the same thing, except it is wi-fi and NOT tethered. It picks up local wi-fi signals even if you are not connected to that wi-fi location.

I dare you to take it out for a drive in the country in the darkness of night where there is no wi-fi around and see what happens when it's tethered to your iPhone. :)

16. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Ah, that makes sense. Ok, I will try it out on the freeway tomorrow on the way to work.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It can even pick up hotspots driving down the highway. Just needs to see one for a second to get a "relative" fix. As I drive down the parkways here with my iPad or iphone set to "ask to join networks" dozens of them pop up even at 70++MPH.

The link posted above in msg #10 has a pretty definitive test.

18. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but the test was conducted 2 1/2 years ago using an IPad 2 and an iPhone 4 running iOS 4. I still would like to see if the same is true with brand new hardware running the latest iOS. I'm going to try on major freeways in Los Angeles, not a highway....there should be no stray wifi signals there.

19. James717 macrumors regular

Does the Mini wifi only have MAPS?

I think the MAP function is only for the Cellular version, like last year's. Is that correct?

I kinda want to use my Mini Retina as a GPS for directions as well

Thanks

----------

That's the whole point of a GPS.

When in a still general location, a location point with directions is just that. But a Garmin or a GPS mean moving and finding a location and finding the best route to that destination.

My phone (every smartphone) does it. That's why it's 700 us dollars? I don't know.

for $130 US dollars extra for a cellular, it' s worth it. but I would like to be sure.

Please someone with an accurate and reliable answer please reply.

20. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Sorry....I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'd like to find an area with no stray wifi signals, but upon reflection that might be tough in the metro Los Angeles area.

Hopefully by tomorrow night.

21. James717 macrumors regular

I'm 100% sure the Mini with Wif-fi does NOT have GPS. Location of you while standing still yes. Location to a destination by route is a yes. But when you are traveling, and you require a real-time tracker, then NO.

I believe the cellular version does have a real time tracker so you can follow your progress while moving on the road.

Again, I'd like a confirmation. This is one of the most important points to adding $130 to my mini retina.

22. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Only the cellular models have GPS. This has always been the case although why, I don't know.

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

But you don't have unlimited battery life for your iPhone.

24. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Most people have a power point or a car charger though, unless you live in the jungle:)