Can someone with no AT&T account pre-order full price iPhone 5 (GSM) ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rak007, Sep 11, 2012.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

In my situation, i do not and never had AT&T account and won't be getting it too. I will be leaving US in next 2.5 Months. Can i pre-order full price iPhone 5 tomorrow (assuming pre order starts) ?
    I do not wish to use the phone on AT&T or any US networks but rather it is intended to use outside the US. So either unlocked or AT&T full price and get it unlocked from AT&T is the only option for me.
    I do realize that the unlocked versions might not be available this soon.

What are my options ?

2. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

So you need a unlocked GSM iPhone? Why not try preordering from the carrier from where you are moving or just wait til you move? In 2 and half months Im sure all carriers will have plenty of stock you can just walk in and buy one probably cheaper then finding an unlocked US one.

3. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not many options during pre-order based on how it has worked in the past. The only way to get option to pay full price was if you did not qualify for a full subsidy or partial subsidy ( for upgrades ). None of the iPhone carriers in the US want to waste pre-order inventory unless they get to lock you into a contract.

Last year, the only way was not qualify for a discount on a web order or walk-in on launch day or later and purchase a no-contract device. Apple was and is likely to be your best option but we don't know until it happens so plan to stalk MacRumors for the latest details... :D

Apple retail began selling AT&T iPhone 4S units at full price with a no-contract option and they were unlocked. Some Apple retail locations refused to sell this combination and others claimed that they were but many customers ended up with an AT&T locked iPhone 4S after paying full retail.

Dave

5. KPOM macrumors G5

However, AT&T will unlock full-priced devices now.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure they will but make sure that you understand their rules concerning the hoops/requirements that you have to jump through to get the actual unlock.

Swing by here and start reading.... iPhone Device Unlock
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Dave

7. KPOM macrumors G5

See the text below.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This entire thread is irrelevant. Because if you'll read only a few threads down, you would know that you can't preorder full price phones anyways!

PLEASE READ and SEARCH (at least the 1st page).

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Not from Apple (at least not last year), but I don't know about AT&T.