Can switching from DSL to cable modem causes AirPort to "Flash on Activity" nonstop?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dukeofwindsor, May 11, 2010.

1. dukeofwindsor macrumors newbie

Hi!

I recently switched from DSL to Cable internet. After I switched, the green light on the AirPort CONSTANTLY flashes -- as if there's constant activity. The AirPort was set to "Flash on Activity" when it was attached to the previous DSL modem and it only flashed when there was obvious activity. Now it flashes constantly green -- even when all devices are turned off.

I have ruled out anyone lurking on my wifi. Even after resetting the wireless password, the green light again immediately starts flashing constantly.

I've searched and searched the Internets for anyone with a similar issue, but have yet to find one.

Should I be concerned? Should I just let it flash? I like to see when there's activity on the AirPort, but now watching it flash all the time just makes me paranoid.

P.S. It also does the same thing when hooked up to an early 2008 Time Capsule.

Thoughts?

2. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

If your cable modem is acting like a bridge instead of a router, then your AirPort could very well be seeing a lot of activity. There are people/bots out there doing port scans which will send packets to every public IP that they can find.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

DSL is dedicated, Cable is shared, so you'll always see activity on it, and it's not bots or port scanners any more there than you'd see on DSL. NBD, really.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A simple test would be to just have your cable modem turned on and the Airport WiFi router turned off, look at the activity LED and see what it does.