Can;t seem to share my folders on OSX 10.6.2

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lindsayanng, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

So the problem is.. I was using a MBP as my main computer and my husband had the imac 24". He ordered the imac 27" and gave me the imac 24" to use and the laptop is now in its bad where it belongs.

So we both ported over our stuff.. he ported the info from the 24" imac to the 27" and then did a clean swipe of it and I ported the laptop's stuff over to the 24" that was at the point cleaned and empty.

When I did that something weird happened with the users where, instead of making me (the user from the laptop) the main admin it added it under a default admin. I had to switch the priorities around (make me the admin and the default user a reg. user) and then delete the default user.

Everything seemed to be fine until i started really working in the computer.

Husband and I share files because we are both graphic designers and work on the same projects. We will pick up files from each other's computers, work on them, and put them back to have them updated.

Whats happening is no matter what settings I have on the sharing section, I can only access documents on his desktop,

EVEN WEIRDER IS - if he places a folder on MY desktop, I can open the files in it in whatever program and work on them, but i can't save to the folder he put there.. it says I do not have permission. If He put the folder anywhere on my computer, I can not move files to it. I can take files out, or edit files in there, but thats it.

And another weird thing is that I have found that some times on my computer will say that I do not have access/privileges to move to trash and then will ask me for MY password.. WHY? There is only ONE user on this computer.

At the moment, all oI had the file sharing set to my entire hard drive.. that didn't work.. So now for HIM to get files off of my computer, I have to manually share them by using the "get info" and then choose sharing.. and if i share a folder that has sub folders, I have to do that to ALL of the folders inside of it!!! ITS NUTS!!!

I know that was a lot, but this thing REALLY has me stumped.. any ideas? Do i need to reinstall the entire OS?

2. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Hmm.. no thoughts on this? Really weird things are still happenng.. like for instance, when I open bridge, it looks as though I am a guest on my own computer, even though I am logged in as administrator..

Also, the "Computer" tab on bridge shows my HUSBAND'S computer and it;s content - which is across the room. This is really weird.