can the AirPort Express do all 3 of these?

zagu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Finland
Hi

I'm thinking about picking up an AirPort Express and hook it up to my home theater system so that I can use it to play music from my MBP over the network. But before I go out and buy one I wanted to make sure it can do everything I want as it seems a bit unclear to me..

So, can the AirPort Express do all these things simultaneously?

• Join my existing wireless network
  • Play my music over the said network from my Macbook Pro and, as a bonus, from my wife's Windows laptop (she uses iTunes on it as well)
  • act as a wireless bridge for my PS3, as this would no doubt be faster than the PS3's built-in wifi which is.. well, awful.

Can it pull off all of these at the same time or would I have to settle for some of the mentioned functions but not all?

Thanks!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi

I'm thinking about picking up an AirPort Express and hook it up to my home theater system so that I can use it to play music from my MBP over the network. But before I go out and buy one I wanted to make sure it can do everything I want as it seems a bit unclear to me..

So, can the AirPort Express do all these things simultaneously?

• Join my existing wireless network
  • Play my music over the said network from my Macbook Pro and, as a bonus, from my wife's Windows laptop (she uses iTunes on it as well)
  • act as a wireless bridge for my PS3, as this would no doubt be faster than the PS3's built-in wifi which is.. well, awful.

Can it pull off all of these at the same time or would I have to settle for some of the mentioned functions but not all?

Thanks!
I believe it can only act as a bridge from an Airport Extreme but it'll definitely do the other two.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
If you get the current generation Express, all three* at the same time should be fine.

*) Provided that you intend to connect the PS3 to the Express via wire.

zagu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Finland
If you get the current generation Express, all three* at the same time should be fine.

*) Provided that you intend to connect the PS3 to the Express via wire.
Yup, PS3 would be connected to the Express via ethernet. Maybe even throw in a switch in the middle and hook up more devices than just the PS3.. and share a printer over the USB on the Express..

I think I'll just buy one and see what all it can do for me :apple:

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
yep all 3 will work.

if you do have a non-apple router as your main base station you'll have to get the newer N version (been out for a few years), you'll find a checkbox titile "allow ethernet clients" once you've joined a network.

zagu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Finland
yep all 3 will work.

if you do have a non-apple router as your main base station you'll have to get the newer N version (been out for a few years), you'll find a checkbox titile "allow ethernet clients" once you've joined a network.
Cool, thanks. I tried to buy one today but they had sold out everywhere that I went. Ended up ordering one online, delivery estimate 2-4 weeks.. guess everyone suddenly wants one for xmas or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.