Can the Airport Extreme run both 802.11n and g at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cstromme, Jun 15, 2007.

1. cstromme macrumors regular

I remember hearing something about it going down to 54Mbit/s if anyone connected via 802.11g, is that correct?

I was considering replacing my Airport Express for the Extreme to get the speeds of 802.11n, but if it is so that a client connecting with g will lower the speeds for the other clients then there really isn't much point since my girlfriend will also be using it with her MacBook.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It goes down to 130Mbps for n devices in mixed mode. g devices continue at 54mbps.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That number is not a fact...it depends on how much the G devices are being used. As singe G devices take longer to transmit data they still uses up the air waves during that time. Which slows down N as it has to wait for the G device to finish talking. So the more you use the G device the slower the N device operates as it has less airtime.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah. Those are maximums in mixed mode. Real world throughput will obviously be lower.

5. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Would it get even worse if I used the original Airport card? (b, I think) My G4 iMac won't take g.

What if I turn the old one off except when it's in active use?

6. cstromme thread starter macrumors regular

So my speeds would only go down when my girlfriend is using her MacBook then?

7. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

If it is one of the original Macbooks then yes. They are only G. If it's a Core 2 Duo Macbook, you can update it (software) to N or even better, if it's a newer Core 2 Duo Macbook, it is already N.