Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
My wife is eligible for an upgrade but doesn't want one so I'm going to use her upgrade eligibility to buy myself the iPhone 5.

From what I've read, I need to order the phone under her phone line but then call AT&T to activate it on my line.

However, if I want to buy the iPhone 5 from the Apple store, can they do this or do I need to buy it online so I can activate it at home using the 1-800 number myself?

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
No. The apple store cannot do this. If there's an AT&T store close to you do that instead or call AT&T when the phone gets there if you order online.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks...

Is it possible to purchase the iPhone 5 at the Apple store but not activate it? (i.e. can I take the iPhone to an AT&T store and activate it?)

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Gone are the days when the Apple Store had to activate your phone on the spot when you bought it. You can bring home the phone, still shrink wrapped, and activate with AT&T over the phone. Still, the best advice might be to stop at an AT&T Store on the way home and have them go through it in the store in the event that something crazy happens and you end up needing a new SIM due to activation sequence issues.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I suspect by ordering (2) online via apple pre-order that I can activate one legit, and then do a swap activation by calling AT&T.

I.E. my sons and wife's are eligible, mine is not. I will activate my sons with my account- he is getting my 4S.

Correct? Never done this either.
Or, I can just mozy on over to AT&T brick and mortar.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
The reason I'm asking is because it sounds like the iPhone 5 will ship on next Friday (9/21) which means we won't receive it until Saturday (9/22).

However, if you can pre-order and reserve for in-store pickup (is this possible??) then you can get it on Friday (9/21), right?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The reason I'm asking is because it sounds like the iPhone 5 will ship on next Friday (9/21) which means we won't receive it until Saturday (9/22).

However, if you can pre-order and reserve for in-store pickup (is this possible??) then you can get it on Friday (9/21), right?

no. It will arrive on the 21st. The carriers get the phones and hold them until the 21st for delivery.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Doesn't it say "Ships September 21st" ? (So I'd think deliver would be the next day)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.