iPhone Can the audiobook be paused when Maps gives directions? This is very annoying

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by madsylar, Dec 3, 2014.

1. madsylar macrumors member

Hello!

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the audiobook pause while Maps (apple) or Google Maps is saying directions?

I'm in the middle of an audiobook and then "In 200 meters, take the third exit on your left towards Bondi Junction", and I just missed 5 seconds of the audiobook.

It's quite annoying, does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can. But there might be an app on the AppStore that does.

3. madsylar thread starter macrumors member

There isn't any unfortunately :/

4. PeteLP, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

PeteLP macrumors regular

I don't have a direct solution, but I do have an indirect one, which is what I've been doing in this situation. I realize this isn't what you're asking for, but I do find it to be a pretty acceptable solution.

I've been using my steering wheel audio controls to skip back by 30 second increments. (This only works when using bluetooth.) One click and I'm right back where I need to be. If your car doesn't have steering wheel controls, your car's CD player "skip-back" and "skip-forward" controls might do the same thing when using bluetooth. Mine does.

Also, in order to get this to work, I've been playing my "Audible" audio books in the Kindle App, rather than the Audible app. These same bluetooth controls would cause the Audible App itself to skip back to the beginning of the chapter (which, in my opinion, is totally useless). But recently the kindle app has added support for audible books right within the kindle app, and they're supporting these 30 second skips, which work perfectly for me.

I just realized that this probably requires buying the kindle version as well as the audible version, which may be a deal breaker for you, but note that if you buy the kindle book before the audible book you get a major discount on the audible version.

I really like switching between listening (when I'm in the car) and reading (when I'm not). The positions are automatically synchronized. It's called whisper sync.

Hope this helps

5. madsylar thread starter macrumors member

I just tried this today and it worked just as you said! Thanks for taking the time to share this solution with tme!

6. PeteLP, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

PeteLP macrumors regular

Glad to hear it helped

BTW, what kind of car do you have (make and model)? And is it working for steering wheel controls, CD Player controls, or both?