Can the built-in AirPort Extreme on Unibody MBP run on 5GHz bandwidth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ALERT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ALERT macrumors newbie

Back in Dec'08 I was told by a Linksys technician that even though Linksys has a dual band wireless router, but there is NO wireless network card (built-in or external) capable of running at 5Ghz bandwidth.

With the launch of new dual-band Airport extreme base station I'm wondering

1) Is the built-in Airport Extreme in the new unibody MBP capable of running at 5GHz bandwidth?

2) If it could, then do I need to change any settings to let it run on 5GHz bandwidth?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My Unibody has happily connected to my Time Capsule on 5Ghz since day 1. As far as I am aware it's up to the base station settings: you cannot tell the card to connect on 5Ghz only. If the base station is set to 5Ghz only then that's what gets used. If the base station is set to 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz then the card/station work out what is best and use that.

3. ALERT thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

So currently, only Apple's 802.11n Airport Extreme in Macs can run on 5GHz bandwidth?

Do mean even the previous versions of Time Capsule and Airport Base Station are already capable of running at 5GHz bandwidth?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe they dont' make one, but my two year old MBP has been running on a 802.11-n 5GHZ network since the day the last Airport Extreme came out (early 2008).

Every model of the TC, the current model of the Express, and the last two models of the Extreme (the ones that look like the TC) are capable of n @ 5GHz.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've got a 1st gen Time Capsule. It's set to run 5Ghz only with "wide channels". As far as I'm aware they've always been capable of this.

6. ALERT thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon me.. I'm a new Mac user (just 2 weeks into Mac).

Wow, Apple is really up-to-date in almost all technology areas. Tat's really cool. Thanks guys.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

I've been running my Airport Extreme I purchased Nov 08 at 5ghz and I've used it with a late 08 white MB, a 09 MBA and now a 17" Uni MBP all run perfect with 5ghz and there is a huge difference in speed vs 2.4 from what I've experienced.

8. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

If it's from Apple and is n, it's capable of running at 5 GHz. All of their 802.11n implementations support 2.4 and 5.

9. bugout macrumors 6502a

A linksys tech told you that? Sounds more like a best buy employee.

I have a linksys game adapter that runs at 5ghz with my 1g time capsule that I bought 6 months ago..

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As been said before, all Apple built in Airport N cards support 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Switches automatically.

Actually Apple is THE company that popularize many technologies, from the mouse to burners to wireless internet. =)