Can the Genius Bar tell how many times you've been given a replacement iPhone3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by louis0nfire, Dec 11, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course they know who they give replacement phones to. Do you think Apple just sends them a box of phones to do with as they please?

That said, if you have an issue, they'll take care of it. Go get it swapped out.

2. svndmvn Guest

yes,they will exchange it for you how many times you want, there's no limit.
    Though, someone told me the year of warranty restarts everytime they "fix" it, is it possible? I thought not.

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Not true. You get a 90 day warranty on any fix they provide.

4. maokh macrumors 6502

Somehow I end up with all the bad apples. I am almost embarrassed to detail how many iphones ive been through in the last 2 years, but lets say, since they haven't cut me off, its probably unlimited. I've even had replacements that spanned over a couple days.

If its quite obvious abuse, they will be reluctant.

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

You get warranty through the remainder of your original iphone purchase. So if you bought it November 1st 2008 and got it replaced March 18 2009 you would have warranty through November 1st 2009.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

even if they do know, they don't seem to care. i've gone through MANY iPhone 3G's, and not once has a Genius ever mentioned it.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm on my 4th iPhone 3G.

Never returned my iPhone 1st Gen or my iPod touch. The iPhone 3G has been way too problematic for me. I finally got a good one though.

8. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Can the guys at the genius bar able to tell if you jailbroke your phone and then fully restore it???????

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, they have a history of your replacements, warranty work, etc.

This should not stop you from getting things fixed as long as it isn't due to accident.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Nope, it is a full restore. And just to add, I have been lucky enough to not need my iPhone first generation and iPhone 3G replaced a single time.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

:eek:
    What issues have you had with it? I'm on my second as of last night.

To the OP- I don't think so, as long as the product is defective, Apple has to replace it.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Read this and you'll understand.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

No. Actually, I don't even bother restoring now - I just make sure I don't have any themes running (of course) and just take it in jailbroken. I'm on my fourth iPhone 3G, and twice I've left jailbroken when I got it replaced. No problem. Same with my old 1st gen touch. Maybe they're just cool here in Tokyo (although I'd venture a guess that it's more incompetence than anything, because it's not like a 'wink wink, I'll hook you up' thing. It's more of a 'umm ... Yeah ok. That's a problem. I'll give you a new one.' but whatever) ... ;)

14. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I'm getting mine replaced in the next couple days. I have a screen imperfection and they told me its under warranty so I just need to back up my phone and come in to get in swapped out.... pretty sweet. Oh and my girlfriend is getting her's replaced as well, because she gets shocks from the earbuds while listening to music and on calls sometimes. Free replacement phone, alllll right!

With that said, would you guys suggest waiting until Macworld, before I get it replaced, as if they drop the 8GB, then I might be able to get replaced with a 16GB? Your thoughts please?

15. jlwillia macrumors regular

I think this is a fairly safe assumption. They can't exactly replace your 8GB if they drop it and make the 16GB the lowest model. That being said, they may be a little less willing to replace it because they may be suspicious about your intentions.

All of this is of course assuming they will even release a 32GB and get rid of the 8GB in January, which is a fairly large assumption. You know what they say about assumptions...

16. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

You've got a good point. My girlfriend's got her problem documented though and so he said he wrote in the log that he was going to give her a new phone so she could literally come in months and get it replaced... right?

17. jlwillia macrumors regular

I would think so. At least it couldn't hurt to wait until mid-January before getting it replaced as long as everything is documented. If they try to give you a hard time, just say you've been busy and couldn't get an Apple store. Does anyone have any other experience with this? Such as when they discontinued the 4GB?

I would think the policy is to replace the phone with one of the same value. Therefore, if the 16GB is reduced to the value of the current 8GB by the time you need it replaced, I would think they would give you a phone of the same value, not the exact same specifications.

I think you might get better answers if you create a new thread with a new title, I think this thread is starting to die and the title is a little misleading since the topic has changed slightly.