Can the high-res display be run well at standard 1440x900?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sickwickednasty, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Sickwickednasty macrumors newbie

All,

I'm buying a new MBP (LCD backlight on my 2007 MBP died last week).

I value the Anti-Glare option pretty highly, but don't have great eye-sight so I would want the AG screen but at the standard 1440 x 900.

I'm wondering how running the high-res display at 1440x900 would look? Would I be degrading the quality of the image by doing that?

Ie. Would the high-res running at 1440x900 look any different from the standard screen at 1440x900 (aside from being anti-glare).

Thanks.

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

The options available are...

1024 x 640
    1024 x 768
    1152 x 720
    1280 x 1024
    1440 x 852
    168 x 1050

They are useful when designing fixed size windows in database applications, but generally I stick to the default as its very much clearer.

3. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'd recommend you stick with the glossy standard res. Running in a lower resolution will make everything look a bit blurry and not very crisp. If you live near a Apple Store go there and test it out and see if you could live with the high-res running at 1440x900

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

It would not look as good as a native 1440x900 screen because it has to downscale the image. Whenever it does that you are losing quality. Have you ever seen an HDTV playing standard definition? Not a great sight, it may not be that bad but there would be a definite change.

Test it for yourself by changing the res of your current monitor down a notch, and that will give you an idea of what the difference in quality would be.

5. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have pretty poor eyesight these days after a couple of detached retinas and various surgeries. I was worried when I switched from the 20" iMac to the 27" recently since the resolution is much higher. As it happens, no problems. I certainly wouldn't recommend you use a lower resolution as it will look quite fuzzy compared with the crisp native resolution.

I with you on the non-glossy front though as I'm still running a 2006 MacBook Pro because it has a matte display. My biggest complaint with my iPad is the glossy screen although I did try fitting a matte after market screen protector and it made the screen much less sharp so isn't a substitute for a real matte screen. Guess I'll just have to put up with the gloss and reflections. The iMac isn't such a problem because the office lights snd windows don't shine on it.