Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ckar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
The full specs are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp582

The middle laptop is 2.53 Ghz and the high end one is 2.66GHz Intel Core i7.

Would I be able to buy the CPU and swap it?

If so, what is the highest end i7 CPU I can put in there?

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Hi,

First off, you can't upgrade the CPUs on laptops; the CPUs are soldered to the board (as explained above).

If you feel that your laptop is not fast enough, you may want to consider upgrading your RAM to 8GB or 16GB (if you're on 4GB), or switching to an SSD. An 8GB RAM upgrade along with an SSD will give your laptop a new life. I own the mid-2010 15" Pro with the 2.66GHz i7 Processor and don't believe that the CPU upgrade was really worth the $100 or so that I spent on it.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

Ckar

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
My old Dell laptop I bought in 2004 could have its CPU swapped, so on some laptops it is possible.

Are you all sure the CPU on this Macbook Pro is soldered to the motherboard? I am asking because everything else can be swapped out in this model. Here is the teardown for the laptop: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Teardown/2212

Hi,

First off, you can't upgrade the CPUs on laptops; the CPUs are soldered to the board (as explained above).

If you feel that your laptop is not fast enough, you may want to consider upgrading your RAM to 8GB or 16GB (if you're on 4GB), or switching to an SSD. An 8GB RAM upgrade along with an SSD will give your laptop a new life. I own the mid-2010 15" Pro with the 2.66GHz i7 Processor and don't believe that the CPU upgrade was really worth the $100 or so that I spent on it.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Yes it is soldered on. It is possible if you have a reworking station, but you'll be spending a couple of grand on one and you need to know what you are doing.

You're better off getting a fast SSD if you haven't got one.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Are you all sure the CPU on this Macbook Pro is soldered to the motherboard? I am asking because everything else can be swapped out in this model. Here is the teardown for the laptop: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Teardown/2212

Its definitely soldered on as with most modern laptops.
You can see in the ifixit teardown that the CPU (along with the GPU) are soldered in place and not socketed.

The only parts you can swap out to upgrade are the RAM, Hard Drive and Optical Drive.

With modern laptops the push to have them as thin and lightweight as possible having a socketed CPU takes up too much space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.