Can the i5 2.53Ghz CPU be upgraded to the i7 2.66Ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ckar, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Ckar macrumors member

The full specs are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp582

The middle laptop is 2.53 Ghz and the high end one is 2.66GHz Intel Core i7.

Would I be able to buy the CPU and swap it?

If so, what is the highest end i7 CPU I can put in there?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

First off, you can't upgrade the CPUs on laptops; the CPUs are soldered to the board (as explained above).

If you feel that your laptop is not fast enough, you may want to consider upgrading your RAM to 8GB or 16GB (if you're on 4GB), or switching to an SSD. An 8GB RAM upgrade along with an SSD will give your laptop a new life. I own the mid-2010 15" Pro with the 2.66GHz i7 Processor and don't believe that the CPU upgrade was really worth the $100 or so that I spent on it.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

4. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

My old Dell laptop I bought in 2004 could have its CPU swapped, so on some laptops it is possible.

Are you all sure the CPU on this Macbook Pro is soldered to the motherboard? I am asking because everything else can be swapped out in this model. Here is the teardown for the laptop: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Teardown/2212

5. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Yes it is soldered on. It is possible if you have a reworking station, but you'll be spending a couple of grand on one and you need to know what you are doing.

You're better off getting a fast SSD if you haven't got one.

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Its definitely soldered on as with most modern laptops.
    You can see in the ifixit teardown that the CPU (along with the GPU) are soldered in place and not socketed.

The only parts you can swap out to upgrade are the RAM, Hard Drive and Optical Drive.

With modern laptops the push to have them as thin and lightweight as possible having a socketed CPU takes up too much space.

7. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Not possible .. but why would you want to? It is a small incremental upgrade (at best around 10%).