Can the iPad2 charger be used to charge other devices?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DizzyV6P, Apr 13, 2011.

1. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

I'll be traveling and I want to cut down the number of chargers to bring. Can the iPad2 charger be used to charge the iPhone 4 and iPod nano w/o blowing them up?

2. blevins321, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

I asked this question a couple weeks back. The answer is yes. And you'll notice that they charge faster too compared to using an iPhone charger to charge the iPad.

3. rovex macrumors 65816

Hmm, i'm not soo sure that's a good idea. Then why don't they include the same chager with the iphone if it charges faster? And the production costs would decrease as they would only need to manufacture the same one charger.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Yes.

Edit: I don't believe it charges the phone faster. That's just not true. An iPad charger though DOES charge the iPad faster than the iPhone charger would.

5. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

You can. Just like how you can use a MacBook Pro 15 inch charger in a 13 inch MacBook Pro and vice-versa.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

As has been answered in dozens of other similar posts, yes. You can use any USB charger for nearly any USB device, the only caveat being that chargers that aren't matched to the device power-wise may take longer to charge. So the 10W iPad charger will do fine with lower-powered iPhones/iPods, but using the iPhone/iPod chargers for iPads will take longer to charge.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I've even used mine to recharge Xbox 360 controllers using the play-n-charge kit. I'm much closer to a wall outlet than I am my 360 when gaming. :D

8. huskerchad macrumors regular

Yes, I use my iPad charger interchangeably with my iPhone. The other way around works but is less effective.

9. DizzyV6P thread starter macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

10. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Good to know.

But does anyone know of a dual charger?

Able to charge an iPhone and iPad 2 at the same time?

11. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I've actually been looking for the same thing and found this one - the Macally 10 Watt Dual USB Charger for iPad/iPhone:
    [​IMG]

Scosche also manufactures one, which has dual power options -"Charge your Apple iPad and 1 other USB-powered device simultaneously with this dual charger that features a 2.1-amp USB port for your iPad and a 1-amp USB port for another compatible device".
    Their info:
    Scosche - reVIVE II Dual USB Home Charger for Apple® iPad™:
    Model: USBH3W | SKU: 1117698

12. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I picked up a generic 10w iPad charger on Ebay for $10 bucks including shipping. I did a quick video on it. Apple wants $30 bucks for a charger and another $20 for a cable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSkcZB4QrY

13. RKpro macrumors 6502

I charge everything with the iPad charger now, haven't had issues. iPad, iPod, phone, kindle, etc...

I think the very basic standard "powered" USB port on a computer does 5V x 0.5A for 2.5W.
    Newer macs, and some chargers do 5V x 1A = 5W
    The ipad charger does 5V x 2A for total of 10W (I think the 2011 MBPs can also do this too)

As long as it's 5 Volts, your gadgets are fine, and all the USB chargers are 5V. They will use as much current (A) as they need, for as much power (W) as they need.