Can the Iphone 4S camera and HD video replace a camcorder/camera? Debate..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Nov 8, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I'm trying to think yes it can last year I was well impressed by HD video at 720p on my Iphone 4 but the S so far I can't see much difference. Slight extra detail but still the same low light issues still the same issues with movement if you record and you walk with the phone it blurs.

Pictures still look grainy and the Iphone 4S lacks a better flash in low light and some of the extras that come with a camera.

I'm tending to think the Iphone 4S camera is just a patched up job of technology on the market in 2007 as comparing the same shots from my C905 the Sony Ericsson out performed it.

I hope Apple don't go 12MP for the next Iphone as those models were terrible hence why there was so few. The 4S has a clear issue small device and it's a camera phone. It may compre to proper cameras in bright daylight but for every day shots it's not too good. I find the photo light gives clear photos on nights out but the most disappointing is pictures taken in daylight with little sun or early evening. Grainy, Blurry and yes I came from the Iphone 4 to 4S and those extra mega pixels do add more grain just like the K850 > C905 Cybershot phone.

Anybody buying it for the camera may feel short changed as it lacks features many other real camera phones had.

2. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. haddman macrumors regular

The iPhone takes better pics than just about every other smartphone out there, so not sure what more you want. If you want professional shots, than obviously you need a real camera, but it's as good as every day shooter as there is on a smartphone right now.

4. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It's just a phone dude.

If you're a professional cameraman then this clearly isn't up to your standards. But if you're a casual student like me who uses it to take pictures with your friends and record some video once in a while, then there's nothing better.

5. julesw macrumors member

julesw

I agree, not perfect but getting there.
    For me it's about carrying the one small device and getting some video rather than no video.

I have a few cameras including a dslr but when i head into
    London for a meet up or something I want to take minimal kit.

I think the apps also give it an extra layer and there is something about trying to get the max out of a small phone that is a positive challenge.

6. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I wonder why it took Apple all these years to enter the market with a decent camera phone? Surely if they started earlier they could be miles ahead of others but it's just a Sony camera is it not?

7. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

It is just a Sony camera but none of sonys phones actually use this camera.

8. xdbuix macrumors 6502

u forgot the most important part. Stabilization =)

9. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

This has replaysed my camera, I only have water proof Sony for. Each/ snowboarding, other than that I only need an iPhone.

10. boch82 macrumors 6502

I did a side by side test of the 4s video and my Sony ex-1r.

For a lit interview, the iPhone looked pretty good in comparison. In fact much better than I thought. The problem was with any motion and the lack of any manual controls.

With a little color correction (to match the 2 cameras) about 3 or 4 of the 7 I showed it to could not tell the difference.

PM me and I'll send a link to the video when I'm back at work next week.

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

I prefer the ability to have optical zoom myself.

12. LOLOMGWTFBBQ macrumors member

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Yep, it replaced my point and shoot camera.

I still have my DSLR if I need to be serious :)

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've used my iPhone for video recording for a number of reasons:

1. It's easy to use since I already have it on me. No need to carry another device.

2. With 1080 HD (or even 720) it's very good quality. Not going to get much better (nor do you need it for regular recording).

3. You can upload right to YouTube, removing the transfer/computer component.

4. With the 4S image stabilization it's even better to use.

Ever since about three years ago I've stopped using a camera or video recorder. I just use my iPhone. It's simple and easy. Many of my friends do the same. And, as video and cameras become stronger in phones I see the trend increasing drastically.