Can the iphone appear as an external device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snerkler, Apr 7, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I'm fairly new to Mac, having used PC's for many years. When I used to connect my iphone 4 to the PC it would appear as a separate drive/device in "my computer" that I could open up and drag and drop photos and video files from my iphone to the PC.

If I want to get photos from my iphone now using Mac I have to import to iPhoto or iMovie/FCP X, find where these files have been stored and then transfer them to where I want them. Is there a way you can see the iphone as an external device so that you can just drag and drop photos and video, without paying a lot of money? I've seen a program called Phone Disk, but that cost £12.99 ($21). I was hoping I could find a free app, or one for about 69p ($1.1).

Cheers

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Try Image Capture, located in the apps folder, it will let you move photos and videos very easily.

:apple:

3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

There's an app called Phone Drive that you can use for this purpose. There's three methods of data transfer: over WiFi, over bluetooth, or through USB/iTunes. In the third method, all the file management goes through iTunes, so it's not really drag and drop, but it works the same purpose. The app is 99 cents.

4. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

nice, I didn't know about that either.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

This does the job nicely, thanks :)

----------

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to go through itunes. Image capture as recommended above does what I need.