Can the iPhone ever become too thin?

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I'm truly enjoying my new iP5, but I can't imagine the phone getting any thinner. I know Apple COULD make it thinner, but wouldn't that make it to impractical for use?

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
I'm truly enjoying my new iP5, but I can't imagine the phone getting any thinner. I know Apple COULD make it thinner, but wouldn't that make it to impractical for use?
I would rather make it thicker like the 4s and have a better larger battery!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've never put "Thin" at the top of my priority list for iPhones, since Apples obsession has always assured us anything they build will be slight in nature.

Funny this topics has come up, since upon unpacking the iPhone 5, I marveled at it's profile. While I'd read all the rumors & knew it would be like a waife, It's hard to imagine till you have it in hand.

Perhaps a 3mm thin see through model will be Apples stopping point.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It will literally be too thin if it causes the phone to break/bend easily. Outside of that, personal preference. I find the phone to be a bit too thin for my taste as it currently sits, though nothing that a case, or some time getting used to it, wouldn't fix.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
They can't make it much thinner because of the headphone jack. Maybe another millimeter or two eventually but that's about it.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
You can never be too rich or too thin. :)

I used to think the original iPod was the "perfect size" and that anything smaller would be impractical. I am already getting used to the lighter weight and thinner design of the iPhone 5 vs. the 4S.

jpross123

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Kentucky
I don't know why they bother making it thinner, it is going to be in a case protecting the phone and making it a little bulkier

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The 5 is almost too thin for my personal preference.

Any more thin than the 5, and that is nonsense!

I prefer the thickness of my 4S. The 5 feels crazy in your hand. So thin and light, especially if you're used to a 4S. But there is a frail feeling about it that I dislike, probably because I am used to my glass 4S.

Either way I'm going to have to deal with it when I upgrade and get the 5S. And I'm sure it's something that I would get used to, just like anyone else. But I really do appreciate my 4S build/weight.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Every year I think that any thinner and it would be too thin, so far I haven't had an iPhone feel "too" thin. I think an even bigger issue is too light, heck, I almost dropped the iPhone 5 because I expected it to be heavier. Of course, I always slap a case on the phone, so the 5 could very well feel too thin.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I can hardly notice a thickness difference from the previous model. Was kinda disappointed by how thick it still is. The weight is much more noticeable over previous models