Can the keyboard delete in the other direction? (and a couple more related questions)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Slip Jigs, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I just stumbled upon a useful keyboard tip that's probably been around a while, and that got me thinking what else I may be unaware of that also may make typing a little easier.

1. Is there a hidden key or method to delete text in the forward direction yet?
    Just wondering if something like this has been implemented. I know there have been discussions on it from day one, including the absence of cursor keys and the pros and cons with the magnifier and other methods of editing.

2. Does or can the keyboard utilize any sort of key combinations?
    I pretty much know that the answer is no, but it's worth asking. I suppose it wouldn't be practical on the iPhone, but it may be on the iPad.

3. Will the text editing respond to a delete key, key combos and cursor keys when connected to an external keyboard?
    I suppose I could easily look this one up, but it just came to mind, so I though I'd just include it.

4. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good source or site for keeping up on text entry and editing functionality on the iPhone and iPad?
    An ideal resource would be something in between the user manual and blogs with tips and tricks articles. Could be part of a more comprehensive iOS resource, but with a section dedicated to text entry and editing.

Even more ideal, it would include the versions and dates new features were added or changed, and even some commentary on the rationale behind the changes. Things like that.

Any input is appreciated! I think this is on my mind because I am looking to be able to use my iOS devices more than I do now for writing tasks> In general, this may point more to the iPad and certain apps - but in some ways, writing on the iPhone is easier than the iPad, and in the areas that it isn't, some of the features mentioned in the questions would be more useful

I'll still keep researching what sources may be out there, and if I see a need, I may create one myself, either as a stand alone website or incorporated into my current site.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Pretty sure 1 & 2 are No. Even jailbroken, I haven't seen that functionality. It's not available in current stock firmware.

3 is a qualified Yes. Some key combinations (such as Cmd + Z or C) work fine with external keyboards--so long as the app you're using supports their usage. Just used them in this post in Safari, for example. Arrow keys work, both by themselves and in combination with other keys, but again, this is app dependent. Most writing apps now do support common key combinations, but they didn't when the iPad was first introduced.

4, haven't seen such a thing, but I can see where it could be useful.

I do a fair amount of writing on the iPad, both with the virtual keyboard and the original Apple Wireless Keyboard. All I can say is eventually I got used to the lack of the things you mention for the most part. If I'm going to be doing a significant amount of editing, I will pull out the external keyboard for the arrow keys and other functions.

Hope that helps a bit!

3. mindyish macrumors member

I am always finding myself needing this. regular full keyboards of course have the backspace as well as delete so I can go either direction which I often need if I didn't place my cursor int he exact spot I needed. Now if only my iphone did this as I do a bit of typing and texting on it.

4. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Irishvixen and Mindyish -

That's does answer all of my questions. I haven't tried an external keyboard, I guessni feel that if I'm actually sitting up I may as well go to the computer. I can see where space would be an issue for cursor keys, but I think that a simple double tap on the backspace key could turn the arrow in the other direction.

I also understand about app dependent issues. I use Quickoffice on the iPad and even though it has the basic features that work, it's a little weird the way it responds to the keyboard. For example, when you do multiple backspaces, when it gets to the point where it would normally clear whole worlds, the cursor just stays in the same place, then when you release it a whole block of words delete.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to see a few changes, especially those who would like to do more content creation, but are kist limited by the device.