Can the new entry level 13" Macbook Pro handle Photoshop and other 3D CAD software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Nov 26, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Can it handle software like Photoshop? Since the entry level Macbook Pro comes only with Integrated Intel Graphics, I have my doubts about what it can handle in terms of graphics, animation and 3D software. Any insight from people who have used the 13" to do this kind of graphics work is welcome. How do these programs run on this machine. Do you see a lot of lag and stutter?

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Check the applications you're using specifically on system requirements. The integrated gpu would probably kind of suck on heavy cad models. Integrated graphics can also be pretty buggy in that regard. I don't know how complex you're getting. Laptops in general suck for that stuff if you're working on large projects. You can hit a wall on cpu, gpu, and ram all at once.

Photoshop it depends on the files and settings you use. Ram is a huge huge factor in photoshop performance. When the amount of ram you're using becomes strained for the file sizes/plugins you're dealing with, it slows way down. If you're running photoshop and cad/3d programs simultaneously, ram is a significant issue. The price goes up significantly past 8GB and you hit a hard limit at 16GB. Photoshop makes fairly efficient use of up to four cores.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

4. dylan.shenton macrumors newbie

I use solidworks for CAD in bootcamp on a 2.3gHz early 2011 13'' and also use Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 on OSX. It's obviously not the fastest machine out there but it handles it well enough.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would definitely recommend getting at least 8gb ram for smooth working and if your job/income is heavily computer dependent i would at least get a 15inch MBP or a desktop e.g. iMac

6. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Handle? Yes. But, as mentioned, if it's your business - the use of the computer and those programs pays your rent - get a more suitable computer. In my business time is money. If my computer is slow, I make less money. Your mileage may vary.